Transcription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lillie.l

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between mRNA transcription and protein transcription?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a difference between mRNA transcription and protein transcription?

What he/she means is that transcription is the name for the process of generating mRNA sequences from DNA templates, regardless of the ultimate use for those mRNA sequences.

Translation is the process by which mRNA strands which exit the nucleus are "read" by the ribosomes in order to generate amino acid sequences that will become proteins.

Thus there is no process one would call "protein transcription."

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What he/she means is that transcription is the name for the process of generating mRNA sequences from DNA templates, regardless of the ultimate use for those mRNA sequences.

Translation is process by which mRNA strands which exit the nucleus are "read" by the ribosomes in order to generate amino acid sequences that will become proteins.

Thus there is no process one would call "protein transcription."

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thank you
This is what I learned from biology classes but when I took a practice test, I came upon this explanation that I don't completely understand.
uploadfromtaptalk1438890408173.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1438890416224.jpg

Thank you
This is what I learned from biology classes but when I took a practice test, I came upon this explanation that I don't completely understand. View attachment 194806View attachment 194807

Maybe there is something in the explanation that I missed out. But if you find what confuses me I would be glad to have it solve.

By protein transcription I want to assume that they mean protein translation, which is the process of taking the information stored in mRNA and translating it into amino acid sequences.

Protein transcription is not a thing.

By protein transcription I want to assume that they mean protein translation, which is the process of taking the information stored in mRNA and translating it into amino acid sequences.

Protein transcription is not a thing.
Maybe :/ thanks

Well, definitely. They mentioned that this mysterious process occurs in the ER. Protein synthesis (and therefore mRNA translation) occurs in the rough ER, and lipid synthesis occurs in the smooth ER. I think this was just an error. Try reporting it to whatever system administers the test you just took. This stuff happens though, I reported a few content errors to Kaplan when I was reviewing for my MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
The typo does not affect the answer so I would not dwell on their mistake. The key thing was to determine what happens to the protein in the sequence of events described in the passage. I know these kinds of mistakes can be annoying but the reasoning of the Q and answer is not really affected by the typo. I agree with above you should reach out to the AAMC and let them know about their boo boo. I'm sure they'll reply with some technicality about how the term is not wrong per se, but just an odd choice etc... but that's just the AAMC :)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The typo does not affect the answer so I would not dwell on their mistake. The key thing was to determine what happens to the protein in the sequence of events described in the passage. I know these kinds of mistakes can be annoying but the reasoning of the Q and answer is not really affected by the typo. I agree with above you should reach out to the AAMC and let them know about their boo boo. I'm sure they'll reply with some technicality about how the term is not wrong per se, but just an odd choice etc... but that's just the AAMC :)

Good luck!
Thank you very much