Transcripts for schools permanently closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banana364

Reaction score
AMCAS says that I need to forward official transcripts from every school I went to even if the courses I took are on my current schools transcripts but the one of the schools I went to was permanently closed a while ago. Does anyone has any experience or know if this would negatively effect my application from being verified on time? Thanks for any advise!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I can imagine this is highly stressful--but ultimately you need to just ask AMCAS. This surely has come up at some point in the past.

Reactions: 1 users
Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest the Department of Education in the state in which the school operated. I would think that the State government might have some knowledge/interest in the maintenance of educational records of defunct schools operated within the state. The US Department of Education would be my second suggestion.

In some cases, a school will be absorbed by another school in the area and the records from the defunct school maintained by the school that took over. You might do some searching for news stories about the school's closing and see if you can find any clues in that regard.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone thanks for all your advise and support! I contacted AMCAS today and was able to get to where the transcripts are being held and will have them ordered on time with all my other transcripts.

If anyone is in the same situation contact the department of education of the state the college/university was in for the transcripts and make sure the the department of education is the department that handles higher education and not K-12 as the state I needed to contact separated the two. For my school since it was part of a network of colleges, the department of education for higher education told me which specific university was holding all the transcripts of the closed down school. I am able to order them on parchment like any other transcript now that I know where to look for them in parchment! Best of luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 5 users