Transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bambi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying for a residency do you have to give them your undergraduate transcript or just the one from med school? Sorry if it's really obvious but I'm a UK student so have no idea.

Members don't see this ad.

When applying for a residency do you have to give them your undergraduate transcript or just the one from med school? Sorry if it's really obvious but I'm a UK student so have no idea.

Usually just frm medical school. Some very competitive residencies may want undergrad transcripts as well, but the vast majority do not.

cute avatar Bambi!

Winged Scapula,
I didn't know that any residencies wanted undergrad transcripts. That's kind of crazy? Is that for dermatology?

When they ask for your transcript do they just get your marks or are you meant to give them grade boundaries as well? It's just that in the UK something like 75% is an amazing mark, at undergrad it's a 1st class and in med school it would be honours but from what I have read in the US it isn't such a great mark.

For general surgery, I was never asked. If I were, it probably would have hurt the program, because frankly, who cares at this point?

When they ask for your transcript do they just get your marks or are you meant to give them grade boundaries as well? It's just that in the UK something like 75% is an amazing mark, at undergrad it's a 1st class and in med school it would be honours but from what I have read in the US it isn't such a great mark.

They would just get your marks as they are noted on the transcript. In general, in the US, your Dean's letter would also note that "bambi scored an average of 75% which puts her in the top 10% of her class."

I think most US medical faculty understand that the grades in the UK and US are not equivalent (ie, yes a 75% in the US would generally be a C grade which is not considered a plus when applying for medical school/residency).

When my UK transcript is sent to American schools, it is sent with a page on how to interpret the percentages. However, it is sent from the Study Abroad Office at the English Uni. You might be able to ask for something like that, if you have to send it.

I had someone ask for my SAT/ACT score for my medical school application, and I thought that was rediculous... I can't imagine needing anything other than board scores, but then again, I have no desire to become a plastic surgeon or dermatologist, so who knows.

I'm just a bit worried because my undergrad degree wasn't exactly my thing, I'm in the top 10% at med school and overall my undergrad degree was a good grade but some modules were awful and I don't want that to hurt my chances. In the UK a previous degree isn't needed for med school so I'm hoping they wont really consider it even though I have one? I wont be applying for derm but will definitely be going for surgery and it's hard enough as an IMG as it is. Would I get the chance to explain my undergrad at interview or would I just get rejected?

I'm just a bit worried because my undergrad degree wasn't exactly my thing, I'm in the top 10% at med school and overall my undergrad degree was a good grade but some modules were awful and I don't want that to hurt my chances. In the UK a previous degree isn't needed for med school so I'm hoping they wont really consider it even though I have one? I wont be applying for derm but will definitely be going for surgery and it's hard enough as an IMG as it is. Would I get the chance to explain my undergrad at interview or would I just get rejected?

Your undergrad transcript will NOT be a part of your application for medical school in the vast majority of programs and fields. You are worried about nothing.

Your undergrad transcript will NOT be a part of your application for medical school in the vast majority of programs and fields. You are worried about nothing.

Although I think aPD meant "for residency", I agree...even the most competitive general surgery programs are not generally going to ask for your undergraduate transcripts.

Although I think aPD meant "for residency", I agree...even the most competitive general surgery programs are not generally going to ask for your undergraduate transcripts.

Yes, yes, silly me. Residency programs will not care about your undergrad transcripts, except for a few outliers.