Transfer 6-year program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iloverx11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to several schools into their 6-year pharm programs. Only obstacle i have is...I want to apply as a freshman. I have been taking courses at a community college but my GPA is average and i have done miserably several times on the PCAT. I don't mind starting over and re-taking my pre-pharm courses because right now i know my chances of getting in the Pharm-D are slim.

So what my question is....Will schools consider my application..if i have college credit but want to start as freshman? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure they'll let you in as a freshman and they might allow you to not take some classes (especially humanities classes). I know people with whole bachelors' degrees that started out as freshmen in my program. Seems kinda like a waste of a year, spending a year in CC and then doing 6 more years. I think Albany lets people into their 2nd year (but that's if you completed all their 1st-year requirements).

Hopefully I answered your question (my understanding is that you want to start as a 1st year student, along with all the graduated HS students, NOT as a 2nd year student).

Keep in mind, however, that even 6-year programs are getting more competitive nowadays, so you need to show that you worked hard in CC.

In my experience, when I contacted a few schools, they will only admit you as a freshman if you have fewer than X university credit hours (I think 30 when I asked). Whether or not they consider CC is up to the school. Otherwise, they consider you as a transfer applicant. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure they'll let you in as a freshman and they might allow you to not take some classes (especially humanities classes). I know people with whole bachelors' degrees that started out as freshmen in my program. Seems kinda like a waste of a year, spending a year in CC and then doing 6 more years. I think Albany lets people into their 2nd year (but that's if you completed all their 1st-year requirements).

Hopefully I answered your question (my understanding is that you want to start as a 1st year student, along with all the graduated HS students, NOT as a 2nd year student).

Keep in mind, however, that even 6-year programs are getting more competitive nowadays, so you need to show that you worked hard in CC.

Hi, is it possible that I transfer from a UC to a 0-6 pharmacy program as a freshman, during my junior year in the UC?

Hi, is it possible that I transfer from a UC to a 0-6 pharmacy program as a freshman, during my junior year in the UC?

Probably too late this application cycle, but you can probably do it next year. Keep in mind most 0-6 programs are on the East Coast (so you won't be able to stay in CA).

I go to USP and we have a few students in my class who already had bachelors' degrees when they started. You should contact them. Expensive program though (my tuition and living expenses together will be about 180k, and I live relatively frugally).

I go to USP and we have a few students in my class who already had bachelors' degrees when they started. You should contact them. Expensive program though (my tuition and living expenses together will be about 180k, and I live relatively frugally).

Thanks for the advice, now I do have more hope toward getting into a 0-6 program. May I have your friends' contact information? Are they on sdn too? Do you live around Philidelphia before attending college? I wish I can decide to do 0-6 during high school years too.

Thanks for the advice, now I do have more hope toward getting into a 0-6 program. May I have your friends' contact information? Are they on sdn too? Do you live around Philidelphia before attending college? I wish I can decide to do 0-6 during high school years too.

By "them" I meant USP. I will not give out people's contact info. I'll try to ask them though when I see them what the app process was like for them