Transfer Credits & GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UT2226

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a less-than-admirable freshman year, and one C since then. As of now my GPA is at a 3.3, with nowhere to go but up. However, I recently heard that if I were to transfer to a certain university within my metropolitan area, then my GPA would start over. They accept the credit without any GPA carry-over.
I am of the understanding that AMCAS requires you to submit grades for ALL coursework completed, so here is my question:

Would it be worth it to transfer to finish off my last two years with an excellent GPA from this other university?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a less-than-admirable freshman year, and one C since then. As of now my GPA is at a 3.3, with nowhere to go but up. However, I recently heard that if I were to transfer to a certain university within my metropolitan area, then my GPA would start over. They accept the credit without any GPA carry-over.
I am of the understanding that AMCAS requires you to submit grades for ALL coursework completed, so here is my question:

Would it be worth it to transfer to finish off my last two years with an excellent GPA from this other university?

It won't be worth it if you're only doing it to improve your AMCAS GPA (the only GPA medical schools will look at), because every college class you take will count towards your AMCAS GPA. So unless you have another reason to transfer, it isn't worth it.

Probably not. Your AMCAS GPA is not the same as your university GPA. AMCAS takes all of the grades you have earned from every university attended and calculates your cumulative and science GPAs from those grades. It would not make a difference to transfer schools.

If you are close to graduating, your best bet is probably a post bac or smp.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be guaranteed to get better grades if I transferred. I currently attend a private university where teachers are only allowed to give a certain [low] percentage of A grades. I still have two years left in undergrad. Does that change anything about your responses?

I would be guaranteed to get better grades if I transferred. I currently attend a private university where teachers are only allowed to give a certain [low] percentage of A grades. I still have two years left in undergrad. Does that change anything about your responses?

There are a number of threads on SDN discussing the issue of transferring to an "easier" university. Be warned: adcoms are seldom fooled by such a move and it can be looked down upon.

Do your best in your last two years. If you GPA is still below 3.5, do a post-bac or smp BEFORE applying to med school.