transfer schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dahuibra

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a concern about transfering of school and GPA, My fisrt 2 years of college was at two different schools, and i did not do so well. My GPA was a 3.0 at my first school and a 2.4 at my second. My last two years of school will be at the same college. How does the gpa calaculate, let say i do much better at the final school and recieve 3.5 overall. How do adcoms look at this? What are schools looking at, overall GPA or BPCM? (i was in the military at the first part of my undergrad work and now out). My goal is to grad with a 3.4 overall gpa(combination of all schools) and have a lot of work to do at my last school ot ofset my poor performance in the begining.

Members don't see this ad.

How much emphasis is placed on gpa vs. mcat vs. essays vs. recommendations varies from school to school. Are there particular schools that you are interested in applying to? If so, contact their admissions counselors, explain your situation and let them advise you. Most of the people in these offices are friendly and will help you out. This is especially true when you tell them that you are a prospective student who has not yet applied. If possible, try to go to some of these schools and meet face to face. That way you have a contact and can stay in touch periodically. This keeps your name fresh with them, and that can't hurt. The admissions people are less willing to advise you if you are already applying, because of not wanting to give any appearance of favoritism. Make your contacts now, and good luck!