Transfer Student Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CringyLife32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am currently attending a CC. I am a biology (BS) major, and I currently have a 3.8 GPA. I am thinking about taking Chem 101 during the first summer intercession at my school (5 weeks long) and once that is over, taking calculus 1 during the second half of the summer intercession (5 weeks long) so that they do not interfere with each other. Is this a good idea? The reason I want to do this is because at my CC you have to do chem 101 as a prerequisite for bio 101, and then you can do bio 102 (obviously). While my favorite school, UT Austin doesn't require Bio 102 to transfer, my second favorite school, Texas A&M, does. Do you guys think that taking chem 101 and then calculus 1 over the summer is doable, a good idea, or a bad idea. If I do it, I have more options to transfer to, and if I don't, I will have less options to transfer too. There is also the risk of potentially doing bad in either of these classes, which of course is not ideal. I am unsure about it as a whole, if you think it is a good idea, please state why, and vice versa. Thank you guys for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Course rigor differs by school, especially in CC. But is it doable? Sure. Should you? Hard to say.

Are you getting an associate's & then transferring or hoping to transfer as soon as you can?

I would err on the side of covering as many bases as you can, so if that means taking Bio 102 before you transfer, do it. If you don't get in to UT, you have a backup. If you do, you still have that course completed.