Transfer Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohnodapopo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended one large well-known university for a year or two and decided it really wasn't such a great fit for me. I decided to transfer, and was able to attend a more prestigious school. Although that wasnt the reason for the transfer, I'm afraid medical schools see it that way. I mentioned it briefly in my personal statement.

I was wondering, did the transfer somehow hurt my chances at the schools I applied to? I know medical schools value continuity in ECs, and because of the transfer I wasn't able to continue with anything I had been doing previously. Although my advisor tells me schools understand why I don't have any 4-year commitments, I have been trying to figure out why 2/3 of the schools I applied to haven't told me anything one way or another.

I guess the overall question I want to ask is: Does Being a Transfer Hurt Your Chances? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that Mount Sinai School of Medicine didn't think so.

I'm not sure if it'll hurt your chances, but I was a transfer, and got in, and one of my lab partners was a transfer, and he got in. And both of us started at Ivy's and transferred to non-Ivy's (although they were still relatively good schools). So the fact that you went up, from a well-known school to an even more prestigious school, that's pretty great. I feel like it's less about how long you volunteer, and more about how much you can communicate to med schools that you got out of it. I think you'll be fine, as long as you continue to do well. I don't know how many schools you applied to total, but try calling and checking on the status of your application, and express your continued interest in the schools. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine. No med school expects 4+ years of continuity in your activities. In fact, it probably helps for you to move on up (to the EAST SIDE!!! hah, catch the reference?) to a more prestigious school.

The only negative I can possibly see in your MDApps is that your list is top-heavy, but even so, your profile looks good and you already have 1 acceptance secured. Just keep on waiting.

Dr. Bubbles, did you or your roomie have to wait longer than most before you got interviews? I feel like maybe I'm being pushed back each time because they don't know how to compare me to the other students.

I'm not sure if it'll hurt your chances, but I was a transfer, and got in, and one of my lab partners was a transfer, and he got in. And both of us started at Ivy's and transferred to non-Ivy's (although they were still relatively good schools). So the fact that you went up, from a well-known school to an even more prestigious school, that's pretty great. I feel like it's less about how long you volunteer, and more about how much you can communicate to med schools that you got out of it. I think you'll be fine, as long as you continue to do well. I don't know how many schools you applied to total, but try calling and checking on the status of your application, and express your continued interest in the schools. Best of luck!

Why? :confused:

What Ivy did you start at if you don't mind me asking? Most people are so excited to get in to Ivies that transferring out would seem blasphemous.