Transfer to NY license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxpharmaRaj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi does anybody have any information about how to transfer licenses from NJ to NY (I am foreign grad and received NJ pharmacist license in fall '08).
I tried contacting board of pharmacy in Albany but I'm not getting any straight answers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is you have to wait until you've had your other license for 12 months, or you will have to take the NY wet lab as well. Waiting 12 months to reciprocate waives the wet lab requirement.

Yeah, but I wanna get a head start now as to what papers to get from the country which I graduated from because paperwork takes at least 4 mo's.

i just got my liscense through ny state. The best thing for u to do will be complete 12 months of work experience in the NJ state, then just reciprocate. The wet lab is very difficult , in case u want to do the wet lab u need to attend the UB review series , that is usually during May and i think november also. this will help u prepare for the wet lab. I dont think u need any other documents if u r already pharmacist in NJ state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Omnaris...as long as you are reciprocating a valid license in another US state, you shouldn't need additional documentation from your country. You've already "proven yourself" to the state of NJ. You should just need documents from the state of NJ and all the annoying NY forms.

Of course, you probably know more about the requirements for pharmacists educated abroad than I do.....

Visit this web site for detailed requirements:

http://www.op.nysed.gov/pharmlic.htm

What you need to get from your school of pharmacy is:

Proof of Education

Send Form 2 to your school and ask that they complete and return it with an official transcript directly to the Office of the Professions at the address on the form.

You can download that form off the web-site.
scroll down to this part:
Applicants Licensed in Another State *

Individuals licensed in another state applying for licensure in New York State must submit the Application for Licensure and First Registration (Form 1) along with the $270 licensure fee. The form and fee should be sent to the address at the end of Form 1.
You must complete the NABP Preliminary Application for Transfer of Pharmaceutic Licensure and submit it to NABP. The preliminary application form can be obtained at www.nabp.net or by calling NABP at 847-391-4406. The NABP Official Application will be mailed to you with instructions1 for filing that application with the Office of the Professions.
Applicants must have, during the five year period preceding the filing of their application, at least one year of satisfactory experience following their initial licensure.
Your employer must complete and forward written verification of one full year (12 months on a full-time basis or the equivalent, if part-time) of licensed practice. This verification should be sent directly by your employer to:
NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
State Board of Pharmacy
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone 518-474-3817 ext. 130
Fax: 518-473-6995
E-mail: [email protected]
Upon submission and approval of the above application materials, you will receive a letter and instructions to apply to NABP to take the MPJE (Part II) examination.
If you need additional information or assistance, please contact the Pharmacy Board at the above address.
* California licensees who have not passed NAPLEX, Canadian licensees, and graduates of foreign pharmacy programs should contact the State Board of Pharmacy (see above) for further information regarding endorsement.

1Note: If the instructions from NABP indicate that you must pay a licensure fee of $270 and you have already submitted the fee with your Form 1, you do not have to pay an additional $270 fee.

How do I reciprocate my license from IN to NY. I'm a PharmD since 2011. Any exam to take? Any study materials suggestions. Thanks

How do I reciprocate my license from IN to NY. I'm a PharmD since 2011. Any exam to take? Any study materials suggestions. Thanks

The information posted above by Arabia in 2009 is still accurate.

Pay licensing fee, complete NABP transfer application, have your employer verify at least 1 year of full-time employment, then pass the NY MPJE.

You won't have to pass the compounding exam if you have 1 year full-time experience, unless you attempted it before.

For more information: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pharm/pharmlic.htm#state

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The information posted above by Arabia in 2009 is still accurate.

Pay licensing fee, complete NABP transfer application, have your employer verify at least 1 year of full-time employment, then pass the NY MPJE.

You won't have to pass the compounding exam if you have 1 year full-time experience, unless you attempted it before.

For more information: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pharm/pharmlic.htm#state

Hi All, just wanted to check to make sure these requirements still ring true in 2017.

I had a colleague of mine that I spoke to recently that said even if you are transferring you will now need to take the NY wetlab exam?
Just wanted to confirm that was true or if just bad information.

Also, for someone who has not worked in retail setting for 3 years, worth it to take a refresher course for the NY MPJE? Any recommendations?

Hi All, just wanted to check to make sure these requirements still ring true in 2017.

I had a colleague of mine that I spoke to recently that said even if you are transferring you will now need to take the NY wetlab exam?
Just wanted to confirm that was true or if just bad information.

Also, for someone who has not worked in retail setting for 3 years, worth it to take a refresher course for the NY MPJE? Any recommendations?
As far as I know you don't need to take the wet lab if you're transferring a license. NY has a lot of state specific laws when it comes to controlled substances. Things like testosterone and benzos are treated as CII's in NY. Verbal rx aren't allowed for any controls, and I'm sure there are some new laws to review regarding the waiver system they have in place for written prescriptions since everything is electronic now.

Does the license of the original state have to be active or can we just let it expire once we are registered in new york?