Transferability of E-Rxs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So another pharmacy near us lost their contract with Express Scripts. They have been just faxing over the prescriptions to us along with the patient's insurance information and send the patient to us for pick up.

Is this correct or is the patient supposed to call the doctor and have them E-rx them to us?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to look at New York's law , that's not permitted in most practice acts as that's "dumping." Difference is that a patient must initiate the transfer , not a pharmacy . Now of course the provider may call in the prescription through eRX or just the phone and it's valid . Also, I remember my New York law enough to remember that pharmacies can refuse to accept the transfer based on a Duane Reade matter that forced Walgreens to acquire them . I'd rather just get a new prescription in most cases to minimize the transfer error potential .

Reactions: 1 user
However , I recall that you work for some independent and it might be a business arrangement to overlook the dumping but then again it could be considered anti-competitive as the patient is supposed to be able to choose which pharmacy they need to go to .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So another pharmacy near us lost their contract with Express Scripts. They have been just faxing over the prescriptions to us along with the patient's insurance information and send the patient to us for pick up.

Is this correct or is the patient supposed to call the doctor and have them E-rx them to us?

You can accept them as transfers. Depending upon the state you’re in, for that transfer to be valid, you may still have to confirm the information over the phone. That goes for non-controlled. For C-III-CVs, you can’t accept them unless there has been at least one fill at the other pharmacy.
For C-II’s you will definitely have to get the prescriber to send the e-scripts to your pharmacy.
At the risk of being redundant, those faxed e-scripts are not valid prescriptions. Because the second you fax a printout of an e-script, it becomes a FAX. For a fax prescription to be valid, you need a signature. A copy or print out of an e-signature is not valid.
So you can either call for copies from that pharmacy OR call the prescriber for verbal prescriptions or have them resend them.
I’d probably tell the other pharmacy to tell their patients to call their prescribers and get a new rx sent elsewhere. Otherwise you guys will be buried in nonsense for no reason.

If that pharmacy is simply printing out e-rx and handing it to patients or faxing it to you, without generating rx#, I am pretty sure it is not valid. I know it used to be done internally even at CVS but still.

It's against the law but most practices do it anyway.