Transfering from other residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student-2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask if any of you know of a person transferring to ENT from another non-surgical residency. I am asking about transferring from a very good and well known program, good board scores some research (some of which in good places) including some ENT research and possible publication. Main drawback- IMG but from pretty well known place.
Any input appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

nope. we had someone transfer in from another ENT program. Also not an FMG. We do have one FMG who came in from the start, though.

In order to enter a PGY-2 spot in ENT you need to have done at least a year of general surgery residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I missed that they said "non-surgical" residency. You have to be in surgical field to transfer, yes. Internship must have been in surgery.

I understand that internship has to be a surgical one, but there is the option of doing a surgical internship again after a medical internship. I know of many cases where surgeons after one year decide it's not for them and transfer to medicine and they start at intern level.
My question is mainly if you have ever heard of someone transferring from another field into ENT?

Yes. I know of someone in another program who matched in internal medicine. Midway through intern year realized the mistake. Approached the ENT chair - spent 2 years in the lab in the department and then got a spot. Obviously had to repeat internship. Overall 8 years.

Thanks- very interesting
Was there a reason he spent 2 years in the lab? Did he want to? or was it some sort of "hazing"...