Do ENT residencies value research productivity in other (non-ENT, non-surgery) fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JivTor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be finishing MS1 soon with a recently developed interest in ENT. I know research is valued in matching and I'm definitely going to try to find an ENT project as soon as I'm done my current one in Rad Onc. Just wondering whether my past research productivity (mostly in Med Onc & Rad Onc) will be valued or whether I'm basically starting from scratch as far as being competitive for ENT goes?

I have about 7 pubs (5 first-author) and 4 presentations/published abstracts and I'm really hoping that this previous work hasn't been for nothing. Since my previous work is mostly in med onc/rad onc, perhaps I can try spinning it as an interest in cancer --> head & neck cancer --> ENT? (I have a second author pub and 1 international presentation from an OSCC project).

Appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Will be finishing MS1 soon with a recently developed interest in ENT. I know research is valued in matching and I'm definitely going to try to find an ENT project as soon as I'm done my current one in Rad Onc. Just wondering whether my past research productivity (mostly in Med Onc & Rad Onc) will be valued or whether I'm basically starting from scratch as far as being competitive for ENT goes?

I have about 7 pubs (5 first-author) and 4 presentations/published abstracts and I'm really hoping that this previous work hasn't been for nothing. Since my previous work is mostly in med onc/rad onc, perhaps I can try spinning it as an interest in cancer --> head & neck cancer --> ENT? (I have a second author pub and 1 international presentation from an OSCC project).

Appreciate the help.
yes

Try spinning it as an interest and evident ability in research, critical thinking, and knowledge base about the publication process as well as valuable experience in fields that do overlap with head and neck oncology. They’re going to value your impressive research record. It’s hard to fault someone for not being “ENT from day 1,” as LOTS of people get no exposure to ENT until late in the game. The effort of the publications speaks for itself.

Reactions: 1 users