Transferring between Caribbean Medical Schools...PLEASE HELP ME!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anothermedkid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I need some help. I’m at Ross University right now and I’m doing pretty well. I got accepted to Ross initially to their MERP program and killed it there which lead me to move forward to term 1 and beyond at Ross. To be very honest, Ross was my last choice. I didn’t wanna go here - but I had no other choice and so I went. I started the school and did really well. Currently, with Ross - I’m at good academic standing. But honestly I’m not happy here.

I started researching around and I got onto SGU’s website and saw they accept transfers but they don’t encourage it. But I’ve been reading that transferring between schools, especially Caribbean schools, is risky. But does that only hold true for kids who got dismissed from their current medical schools and are going to another one? I have good grades at Ross, my MCAT scores match SGU’s requirements and I have not had any retakes or fails in my time here at Ross. So my question is, is there a chance I get transfer to SGU? And if I do, does a transfer still look bad at residency programs even tho I don’t have bad grades?

Members don't see this ad.

What term are you in? I'd say it might be worth waiting to take step then transferring but at that point it wouldn't matter much since you'll be doing clinicals anyways. Transferring won't really help your chances of matching given you aren't coming from a non big 3 school so it'd be just based on preference.

What don't you like about it specifically? If you're doing well it's probably just worth it to keep your performance up and get to clinicals. I'm a current student at Ross as well and there was a rumored image going around one of the group chats stating that we'll be online again next semester due to COVID so in that case depending on your semester it really wouldn't make sense to transfer.

Even if a transfer doesn't hurt you, in these situations its not like it'd help you in any scenario given the lateral direction you'd be going in. If I had to guess it'd probably make a non-historically friendly residency program be even more suspicious about it but you can probably explain it to them if they do give you an interview.

Usually these threads are about failing out of one Carib school, so transferring to another for a second chance.

In your case, a transfer from Ross to SGU would be a lateral move, I doubt PD's would care at all. You'd just need to be clear in your application why you transferred.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you contact SGU and see if a transfer is possible. I know some people who have tried and we’re declined because of the difference in classes per semester for the two schools.

Hey everyone! So I need some help. I’m at Ross University right now and I’m doing pretty well. I got accepted to Ross initially to their MERP program and killed it there which lead me to move forward to term 1 and beyond at Ross. To be very honest, Ross was my last choice. I didn’t wanna go here - but I had no other choice and so I went. I started the school and did really well. Currently, with Ross - I’m at good academic standing. But honestly I’m not happy here.

I started researching around and I got onto SGU’s website and saw they accept transfers but they don’t encourage it. But I’ve been reading that transferring between schools, especially Caribbean schools, is risky. But does that only hold true for kids who got dismissed from their current medical schools and are going to another one? I have good grades at Ross, my MCAT scores match SGU’s requirements and I have not had any retakes or fails in my time here at Ross. So my question is, is there a chance I get transfer to SGU? And if I do, does a transfer still look bad at residency programs even tho I don’t have bad grades?

Hey how was your experience with the MERP program? I just got into that and I’m bummed out about not getting direct admittance but at least it wasn’t a no..