Transferring EPIC smart phrases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve accumulated almost 4 years of amazing smart phrases in EPIC during residency. I’m starting a fellowship at a new hospital next year (which also has EPIC). Is it possible to save my smart phrases somehow? Or do people just copy/paste in a word document..?

It seems like you can export User Dictionary at least.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about being able to transfer smart phrases across systems in any way other than copy-pasta, which is what I've done with the 2 other hospital systems I have privileges at that use Epic. I'd be worried that the new system wouldn't allow importing stuff for security reasons, even if it was possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about being able to transfer smart phrases across systems in any way other than copy-pasta, which is what I've done with the 2 other hospital systems I have privileges at that use Epic. I'd be worried that the new system wouldn't allow importing stuff for security reasons, even if it was possible.

I figured that would be the case... soooo many smart phrases to copy/paste ☹️.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I figured that would be the case... soooo many smart phrases to copy/paste ☹️.
Fo sho.

But now's the time to go in there and trim the fat. I have a ton of smart phrases that were specific to services that I was on as a fellow that I don't ever use as an attending (same hospital system, different practice setting). I feel like every time I make a new smart phrase now I wind up deleting 3 or 4 leftover from fellowship.

I've worked at 4 institutions with EPIC, and there is no way to do this. Even dot phrases (like .me or .time) and @ things within smart phrases may be different between EPIC builds so you wouldn't want to anyway.

Just copy/paste into the word document. I set all mine up with some downtime in the other day and I had them all done in half an hour. Simple.

Also, chances are your new place will have their own smart phrases they might want you to use. Don't buck that as a fellow.

Unfortunately as others have stated, no way to directly import other Epic Dot Phrases from one Epic to another.

There is a way for the Epic IT team to export them. I had this done before I left residency. It was given to me as an Excel spreadsheet so it made it a little cumbersome to copy and paste since they were to cells instead of Word format.

Copy and paste to Word document will be the ‘simpliest’ Way. I had 789 phrases and didn’t get all them from my latest iteration since I got cut off from my last Epic before I had a chance to get updated Copy. I was able to use an older version and managed to create 502.

You would think for the $600 million that it costs to implement Epic that they would have a simpler way.