Transferring Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HemeOncBoundNow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my first 6 weeks of Heme/Onc fellowship and am seriously considering transferring to a new program, not because of my program but because I'm miserable in the city that I'm in. This was one of my last choices mostly because I didn't want to live in the city that the program's in.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with transferring programs, the process and how to pursue it if and when I do decide to proceed. I don't know where to even start. I am a US allo grad from a top residency and currently in a very good/reputable Heme/Onc program. Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Residency and fellowship are just one step on the path, sometimes you're forced by fate to explore areas of the country you're not very interested in experiencing.
You're almost done with this journey. If your program is strong with a good reputation, I think I'd just suck it up and make the most of it, then capitalize on the program's reputation to score a great job. If you're in the mountains learn to ski, the shore, learn to surf, etc.
Life's an adventure, embrace it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is it possible to "transfer" (i.e., re-apply next year and start over as a first year fellow somewhere else)? Sure. Is it worth it? Highly unlikely. Suck it up, find something you like about where you live. Get out of it as much as you can (this year will be hard, the next 2 years you'll probably have all kinds of time to travel) and start planning for your post-fellowship career and location sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 1 user