Transferring?... Good Idea or Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurboPorsche

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a rising junior at Grand Valley State University (pursuing a major in biomedical sciences with minors in business and chemistry). I currently hold a 3.87 with my current major, work over the weekend as a Radiology Tech Assistant, volunteer and shadow weekly during the school year, along with a few ECs and a possible research position at a local hospital (waiting to hear back).

I applied to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor as a transfer student and got in. umich offers a Biomolecular Sciences major that I am interested in. Transferring might put me in a rough spot because my 300+ lvl classes wont transfer (but the credit value will) Therefore, I will need to retake some classes and I will no longer be able to obtain my business minor and chemistry minor. Plus, I would love to be admitted to the med school at umich but I've heard that they are notorious for only accepting a small number of their own students.

On the other hand, I’ve always wanted to attend umich I think the school will offer a much better undergrad academic experience, especially for Premeds. They have excellent opportunities (especially for research) due to the different programs the school offers. I am confident that I can keep my grades around where they are while attending umich undergrad. Or I can stay at my current school. Any suggestions?

Both schools will be the same price for me, so I don't have to worry about the finances for the next 2 years until my scholarships expire.

*I have talked to a few others with lots of knowledge on the subject and they recommended me to just ride the wave at GVSU until I graduate. The phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" came up one to many times lol. My premed adviser is little help and I feel I need more information.

**I know that this subject has been beaten down on this forum and my situation is in no way unique. Just want to see what some knowledgeable people on this forum have to say.

**First post! A coworker mentioned this site to me and I wish I found it 6 months ago when I first decided to pursue medical school!

Members don't see this ad.

If its not broke don't fix it? Is it really worth it to retake a few classes for the same degree? At the end of the day, its your life and do whatever makes you happy! Weigh out your pros/cons. Sleep on it. Give it a week, and if you still feel that way go with your heart. Sending you good vibes!

At this point, you have done everything right. You have probably also have good rapport with professors for LORs. I wouldn't leave. You will also have to make new friends, fight for research opportunities against students who have been cultivating relationships, fight to get I to clinical volunteering. Junior year should be spent doing research, studying for MCAT, not retaking classes. It seems like a waste of money and time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I transferred during undergrad, and I think it definitely hurt my app. When I transferred, I would have to find a whole new friend group, study group, physicians to shadow, facilities to volunteer at, research opportunities, etc. Ultimately, I did overcome it all, but I feel like my app did slightly suffer from transferring. It was difficult to get letters of rec. from professors (these are required for my university's committee letter) because they had only known me around a year and I only had their class once. I transferred going into my junior year like you are suggesting, and was lucky enough to get a research opp. that Spring, but that is just my experience. Hope this helps! If I could do it again, I would not have transferred since I had many things going my way at my old school just as you seem to have currently.

I first attended community college so I had no choice but to transfer. However, if I had the opportunity to stay at one school for all four years, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I agree with all the posters above me for all the reasons they mention.