Transferring, GPA, and Grade Inflation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I will be transferring to a larger state school from a small, private school (16k vs 3k students) and I am having some anxiety about how well I will be able to perform in regards to the difficulty of classes. So far, I have made an A- in gen chem 1 and an A/A- so far in gen chem 2. I have also made an A in Intro Cell and Molecular Bio, and an A in Psych and pretty much everything else (there is one other religion type class I may make an A- in, worst case a B+).

So my question is, will I have a hard time adjusting to classes? I will be taking organic 1 and bio 2 in addition to major classes my first semester. I just cant stop worrying about if I am going to do well there or if my past performance has been somewhat of a fluke, as I hear about things like grade inflation, etc where some schools are easier relatively. Maybe I am just letting my anxiety get the better of me.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Any general advice about transferring would also be appreciated.

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

There is no question that there is some coddling that goes on at small private schools. However this is just a generalization. If you have done well in your courses so far (and by your report, you have), you can do well at a large state school like UNC, Wilmington. You will have to be a little more proactive if you need extra help in your courses at a bigger state school, but the material for Organic Chem is essentially the same everywhere, and it is a finite amount of information to learn. And you have the ability to get mostly A's in the rest of your courses if you apply yourself and do the work in your new school. Make sure to make time for your own wellness, and for making friends. There will likely be a good number of other transfer students too and many schools have a dean assigned to the transfer students to smooth their transition, so make use of the resources available.

It may be a bit more challenging at first to navigate EC's and to develop leadership opportunities at a big school, but look to the community outside of the university. There will likely be a diversity of research opportunities at your new school as well, if that interests you. It can take some time to find a lab, so start early and consider working in the same lab during your summers if possible.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no question that there is some coddling that goes on at small private schools. However this is just a generalization. If you have done well in your courses so far (and by your report, you have), you can do well at a large state school like UNC, Wilmington. You will have to be a little more proactive if you need extra help in your courses at a bigger state school, but the material for Organic Chem is essentially the same everywhere, and it is a finite amount of information to learn. And you have the ability to get mostly A's in the rest of your courses if you apply yourself and do the work in your new school. Make sure to make time for your own wellness, and for making friends. There will likely be a good number of other transfer students too and many schools have a dean assigned to the transfer students to smooth their transition, so make use of the resources available.

It may be a bit more challenging at first to navigate EC's and to develop leadership opportunities at a big school, but look to the community outside of the university. There will likely be a diversity of research opportunities at your new school as well, if that interests you. It can take some time to find a lab, so start early and consider working in the same lab during your summers if possible.
Thank you for your response!

I currently have one poster and presentation in terms of research from my current institution. I also will be volunteering for about 2 hours a week at my community food bank during the summer (around 30 hours per summer until I get into med school, from then on Im not sure how much). I know its not a lot but i enjoy it and I feel like it shows dedication to my home community. I also will have a scribe or volunteer position at a hospital where I should get some good clinical hours. Another thing I have to worry about is getting LORs but I am not too sure about that yet. Nonetheless I really appreciate your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

So I will be transferring to a larger state school from a small, private school (16k vs 3k students) and I am having some anxiety about how well I will be able to perform in regards to the difficulty of classes. So far, I have made an A- in gen chem 1 and an A/A- so far in gen chem 2. I have also made an A in Intro Cell and Molecular Bio, and an A in Psych and pretty much everything else (there is one other religion type class I may make an A- in, worst case a B+).

So my question is, will I have a hard time adjusting to classes? I will be taking organic 1 and bio 2 in addition to major classes my first semester. I just cant stop worrying about if I am going to do well there or if my past performance has been somewhat of a fluke, as I hear about things like grade inflation, etc where some schools are easier relatively. Maybe I am just letting my anxiety get the better of me.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Any general advice about transferring would also be appreciated.

Dd3
Get Letters of Recommendations now and throw them in interfolio.

People say your upper division courses have numbers dwindle down. Depending on how large your school is this is a flat out Lie.

I legit have classes with 200 people and I'm graduating soon. What is this??? These are 300 and 400 level courses. My smallest class size junior year has been a 400 level course with 60 people.

My science letters of recommendation are from professors with classes of 200. Save yourself the effort in the future and get those LORs now. I had to bend over backwards to meet professors in large classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I have one science prof who might write a strong letter for me, but it will be two years before I apply. How would i go about saving a letter for my application eventually if she were to write me one?

I have one science prof who might write a strong letter for me, but it will be two years before I apply. How would i go about saving a letter for my application eventually if she were to write me one?
Interfolio.