1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Transferring - Important Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Karim, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Karim

Karim The Egyptian Undergrad
    5+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Karim

5+ Year Member

I know that school is what I make it out to be, regardless of the professor. But frankly, I feel like I'm getting screwed over here! I study my a$$ off for Biology--I read and study each chapter, read and study the lectures, go completely through the text's website, and I still have a B average. I'm told that a B (3.0) is actually impressive in this professor's class. For the amount of effort I put in, I deserve an A!

I study my a$$ off for Chemistry too, but what kind of idiot professor gives out a 13 question multiple choice CHEMISTRY test based on 4 chapters, all on material that he has not presented in class? Look--I'm a freshman...maybe there's a lot of professors out there like that, but I feel that this trend of horrible professors is going to continue. I think I should get out of UNLV as soon as possible...what do you guys think???

4. Karim

5+ Year Member

Should I stay? Should I go? I'm thinking of transferring to UC Irvine, since my parents own property nearby. Is it too much of a hassle to transfer? What do you guys think is in my best interest? Sorry for all the posts, but this is really troubling me...

5. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

No, transferring is silly. Self-instruction is valuable and will serve you well in med school. What happens in vegas stays in vegas, don't you want to make some tourist happy?
    "Her tests are impossibly difficult." You sound like a whiny anal pre-med. Yeah, I said it.
    Oh, and he had the test written. He was just messing with your head. Yeah, he asks questions that are different than the book? This shocks you why?
    Math is a language unto itself.
    I'm tired. Your post made me angry. I can't pinpoint why. Please stop whining.

6. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Sorry but your trolling is really bothering me

7. Karim

5+ Year Member

Wow, your post made me angry too. You are quick to mock me, judge me, and assume that I don't know how to study. Look at that.

I didn't mean to come off as a "whiny anal pre-med." Here's the thing, desiredusername. I just pulled off two all-nighters in a row, and I've been either studying or sleeping/eating for the last few weeks, so forgive me if I'm a little whiny. I'm not over-exaggerating. I am "whining" because I'm putting forth my best effort yet I'm being screwed over regardless. It should be the professor's job to teach us, not make our lives hell. I swear to you--I ask this man a question in class, he pouts, rolls his eyes, and scribbles something illegible on the board.

Oh, and living in Vegas is a lot different than visiting Vegas. If you're not into the party scene, Vegas can virtually offer nothing else to you.

8. Karim

5+ Year Member

I swear to you guys that I'm serious.

9. Karim

5+ Year Member

My concern is not just these few classes. I feel like I'm wasting my time and money going to class. I just study out of a textbook anyway, and that still isn't good enough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was brought up to believe that a classroom is a place that you go to to learn...right? I don't know why I'm so suprised; UNLV isn't exactly the academic power-house of the West...

10. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Instruction is overrated. Homeschooling is awesome.

11. Karim

5+ Year Member

I agree...but the same professors who fail to teach me are the same professors who make and grade my exams. What do you think, Brett? I'm dead serious about this.

12. iwillbesoon

iwillbesoon Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd say transfer if it's what you want - and you seem to want to.

Only you can make you happy.

13. Karim

5+ Year Member

Well, of course I want it...I want to get as far away from Vegas as possible, and I've always had a thing for the surf. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not making a big mistake...

14. Awesome like cement boots.

15. Karim

It is impossible for us to tell, since few of us are at UNLV, whether you are a lame-ass over-matched pre-med who is destined for failure anyway or really encountering unfairly poor instruction. So it is hard to say if you should transfer or not. Often the newest and/or untenured profs have to do the general ed classes because the good faculty are saved for the upper division courses that the people in that major take. Therefore your experiences may not be a reflection of the university as a whole. Then again, they might be. Sorry I can't be of more help.

16. Karim

5+ Year Member

It's ok. It's impossible for even me to tell if I'm destined for failure or not. I really wish it was the other way around, that I have great professors who love to teach and try to make sure that everyone understands or whatever...I didn't want to believe the rumors that UNLV is "horrible" but maybe it really is. I'm trying to google it...so far it looks like it's not even ranked. It feels like a huge community college.