Transferring into MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofy Goober

Certified Nerd
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an incoming M1 who has done some soul searching. I want to do an MD-PhD and the 80-20 lab running split sort of career that comes with it. Classes start in about a month. When should I reach out and try to make this transition and apply to transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm an incoming M1 who has done some soul searching. I want to do an MD-PhD and the 80-20 lab running split sort of career that comes with it. Classes start in about a month. When should I reach out and try to make this transition and apply to transfer?
Presumably, MSTP applicants have done a lot of soul-searching before they consider the PhD-MD pathway because MSTP programs are time-consuming, labor intensive and challenging, among many other things. In these programs, you are expected to complete rigorous training to become a scientist-physician.

Are you aware of the pros-and-cons of MSTP programs at this time, and are you truly certain this is the ideal career pathway for you?

If your answer is an unqualified yes, (and if you're certain you want to transfer to your school's MSTP), and since you're already an incoming MS1, you can reach out to your school right now, and schedule an appointment to discuss their MSTP transfer program, based on the particular policies of your medical school.

These types of programs are dependent on each medical school - so you will need to converse with the MSTP at your school to obtain detailed answers to your questions. You may (or may not be) eligible to apply to transfer to your own school's MSTP program after completion of your first year of medical school, or whatever.

It is advisable to contact your school for further information.

Reactions: 2 users