Transferring Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSchool2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a Canadian Ross university student. I have completed the 2 years of basic sciences on the island. Being in the Caribbean is an expensive adventure. Long story short, parents were supporting me financially however been a turn of events which has led the tuition cost becoming a huge burden for them and loans aren't really an option for me. I was thinking about switching schools to something like Windsor, or Spartan for the clinical rotations years due to their much cheaper tuition. I have checked with these schools and they have confirmed they can take me and allow me to write the step 1 through them. I understand these schools are not well recognized and are not on the California approved list of medical schools. I really do aspire to become a MD, and was wondering how being a Non-US IMG at a low tier school will affect my future? Will the transfer from Ross to a lower tier medical school show as big red flag on my application for residency, will not being able to apply for residency in all states be a nail in the coffin? I'm definitely not the smartest, and based on practice NBMEs can probably hope for around low 220s on step 1. Basically looking for some advice on what steps I can take, and any advice on the schools of Windsor and Spartan would be nice too.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am currently a Canadian Ross university student. I have completed the 2 years of basic sciences on the island. Being in the Caribbean is an expensive adventure. Long story short, parents were supporting me financially however been a turn of events which has led the tuition cost becoming a huge burden for them and loans aren't really an option for me. I was thinking about switching schools to something like Windsor, or Spartan for the clinical rotations years due to their much cheaper tuition. I have checked with these schools and they have confirmed they can take me and allow me to write the step 1 through them. I understand these schools are not well recognized and are not on the California approved list of medical schools. I really do aspire to become a MD, and was wondering how being a Non-US IMG at a low tier school will affect my future? Will the transfer from Ross to a lower tier medical school show as big red flag on my application for residency, will not being able to apply for residency in all states be a nail in the coffin? I'm definitely not the smartest, and based on practice NBMEs can probably hope for around low 220s on step 1. Basically looking for some advice on what steps I can take, and any advice on the schools of Windsor and Spartan would be nice too.

Thanks,
Don’t bail for a lesser school if you want to practice in the US

Reactions: 1 user
Hey
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Hey there.... Ross is expensive. However, you should ask spartan and Windsor about the reason for low tuition. Ross tuition is high because all clinicals is included. For Windsor, I have heard (rossip) that you pay per week as you go. Double check on that... Which might all together cost more than Ross. As I went through this match season, I would say I have met many Caribbean schools.. 95% are from the big 4. I'm sure Windsor and spartan people do get interviews... But ( I'll let u fill this part in). Besides, Ross and SGU have a lot more clinical rotation hospitals compared to these smaller schools. When going into 3rd and 4th year... You do not want to have trouble finding clinical spots... Because that will cause severe delay for Step 2's and Matching. Then, that will in turn cost you more money than what you have planned. I have a close friend who went to AUIS in st. Maarten, new school and all.... She was always given 3-4 days in advance to move to her next rotation.... And its never the same state. The school did not give her proper guidance or at least an email about matching or the process. Nonetheless, her school didnt coordinate with hospitals well (very few hospital affiliates) and so she had about 1-2 month gap in between. She had trouble scheduling prometric shelves at the end of each rotation.

I know its a burden for Canadian students to get matched because of visa , financial aid, and Canadian match that isn't friendly, but if you choose to go to spartan or Windsor... You are essentially creating another barrier for yourself and may jeopardized your future.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is not such thing as "California approved list" as of 2020.

That being said, you would be better to just drop out of medical school all together than to transfer to one of those 2 schools.

IF you have to transfer for financial reasons, at least go to an accredited school.

Thank you everyone for your advice, much appreciated. Going to take a long hard look at the options and see what future unfolds from there.

There is still a disapproved list in California:

If you transfer now, this may still apply to you.

The change will occur in 2023 where the ECFMG requirements will supersede those of individual medical licensing boards. However, individual state boards may still opt to have more stringent guidelines.

-Skip

Hello Doctor,

I have see you give many people very helpful advice, and was wondering if you could give your opinion to my situation as well? I was wondering if you could elaborate on your advice? It says the requirement will take take effect in 2023, so that means if I were to switch now I should be able to finish before the deadline without any hindrance (other than the hindrance of being an IMG)?

I have been trying to look for NY approved medical school, but have not been able to find a list like there is for the California approved schools. Windsor is not on the Cali approved list, meanwhile Spartan is on the disapproved list for Cali. However, for whatever its worth, Spartan has CAAM-HP but Windsor does not. I was wondering if I were to switch to one of these schools which one would be the pathway of least resistance? Or is switching essentially killing my chances of ever getting a residency as a Non-US IMG (NBME saying step1 probably 220) and I should just cut my losses and do something else?

Thank you very much, appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to read my rant and provide guidance!

I ... was wondering if you could give your opinion to my situation as well?

I don't give specific advice to individuals on this forum; I give general advice. And, any advice given is also not warranted.

Having said that, in general I think it is a good idea to pick the correct pathway/school up front, and then stick with it to the end. One's odds of success are overall likely to be greatly improved, coupled with a lot of other factors (of course).

Lastly, and to be honest, when I first read your original post (and WADR), I thought you were simply here trolling. Either way, I recognize that there are other people who may find themselves in your situation.

-Skip

It says the requirement will take take effect in 2023, so that means if I were to switch now I should be able to finish before the deadline without any hindrance (other than the hindrance of being an IMG)?

I have been trying to look for NY approved medical school, but have not been able to find a list like there is for the California approved schools. Windsor is not on the Cali approved list, meanwhile Spartan is on the disapproved list for Cali. However, for whatever its worth, Spartan has CAAM-HP but Windsor does not. I was wondering if I were to switch to one of these schools which one would be the pathway of least resistance? Or is switching essentially killing my chances of ever getting a residency as a Non-US IMG (NBME saying step1 probably 220) and I should just cut my losses and do something else?

The California changes happen in 2020, not 2023. The ECFMG rules start in 2023.

NY approval only matters if you want to do clerkships in NY. You can still apply for and get residency in NY even if your school is not NY "approved."

Do not even consider a school without CAAMHP. Do not even consider a school on the California disapproved list. Figure out a way to stick with Ross or if you must transfer, pick one of the better schools. Transfering to a low tier school like Windsor or Spartan should not even be an option for you.