Transferring once in medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

epr1

Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if i placed this in the wrong place, but I was wondering how easy it is to transfer from one medschool to another, and how residency boards feel about going from a school with a lower reputation to one with a better one. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

very very unlikely to transfer btw med schools...

happens very very rarely...

It's very difficult. As far as I know, most schools only allow transfers if spaces open up; since medical schools have very low attrition, spaces do not often become available. Even when they do have available spaces, they usually go to people with extenuating circumstances, like if your spouse is a student or faculty member there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if i placed this in the wrong place, but I was wondering how easy it is to transfer from one medschool to another, and how residency boards feel about going from a school with a lower reputation to one with a better one. Thanks!

It's not a realistic plan to expect to transfer in med school like you might in college -- it simply doesn't happen as readilly. Generally you need to have a really good reason (usually health or family related), the target school needs to have a spot, and most schools require you to have completed your second year and Step 1. And most of the time you will still need to have had the stats to get into the school to which you are transferring, so I wouldn't look at this as a back door to a better place.

Basically, you can't. There is a very, very short list of circumstances that will suffice (if you're married, and your spouse gets a faculty position at that school, or things along those lines), and they can only do it after the first two years.