Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Transferring professional school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rpames, May 8, 2002.

1. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I?m going to cross-list this despite the annoyance of it, sorry.

I have a feeling I won?t be accepted to MD/DO school after I graduate, but I think I have a chance at OD school. My dad is an OD and I would like to take over his practice, as an ophthalmologist. I would be happy as and OD, but I think I would like the challenges of surgery as an ophthalmologist more. Because of this I have been thinking of a post-bac program for a year and then applying to MD/DO schools. My dad, 30 years out of the loop, suggested applying to OD schools right away and if I got in go there and while taking classes continue to apply to MD/DO school and if accepted transfer.

I know some schools make you finish any degree you are currently taking, is that common?

I also relies if I transfer I would have to start as a MSI, which really, I wouldn?t be any worse off than if I did a post-bac.

I think my main question is; if I weren?t accepted to an MD/DO school but am accepted to an OD and an organized pre-med post-bac, which should I go? Or rather what would you do if you were me?

Sorry for the length.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr. happy clown guy

Mr. happy clown guy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had 2 friends that were 1st or 2nd year Optometry students then got into a D.O. program (great programs). THey got no advanced standing, but it can ONLY be a plus...at least it was for them!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...