Transferring professional school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m going to cross-list this despite the annoyance of it, sorry.

I have a feeling I won?t be accepted to MD/DO school after I graduate, but I think I have a chance at OD school. My dad is an OD and I would like to take over his practice, as an ophthalmologist. I would be happy as and OD, but I think I would like the challenges of surgery as an ophthalmologist more. Because of this I have been thinking of a post-bac program for a year and then applying to MD/DO schools. My dad, 30 years out of the loop, suggested applying to OD schools right away and if I got in go there and while taking classes continue to apply to MD/DO school and if accepted transfer.

I know some schools make you finish any degree you are currently taking, is that common?

I also relies if I transfer I would have to start as a MSI, which really, I wouldn?t be any worse off than if I did a post-bac.

I think my main question is; if I weren?t accepted to an MD/DO school but am accepted to an OD and an organized pre-med post-bac, which should I go? Or rather what would you do if you were me?

Sorry for the length.

Members don't see this ad.

I had 2 friends that were 1st or 2nd year Optometry students then got into a D.O. program (great programs). THey got no advanced standing, but it can ONLY be a plus...at least it was for them!