NJWxMan

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
What kind of hell does it cause for the resident and the program? Black-balled for life?

psychattending

Program Director
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Saint Louis
Status
Attending Physician
If you reasons are good and you work with your program director in a timely manner to find another program that is a better fit for you, then transferring programs is not a black mark.

GreenT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
I posted a similar question in the Int Med forum and no one answered, pretty much just crickets on that thread!

I would be interested in advice on transfer as well. I plan to finish up through PGY 2 and then transfer (our program is 3 years )

do I talk to my PD first or can I see if there are programs interested then talk to PD?

I hate that in medicine we are so restricted! Other professionals are able to look around and move but we are so constrained. Very hard in amarriage where both work!!!!

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
What kind of hell does it cause for the resident and the program? Black-balled for life?
For psych, the disruption is causes is less than, say, medicine.

If you transfer out after your PGY2 medicine year, then the program you leave behind will have to find another PGY3 resident who is of sufficient quality that s/he can basically step into your shoes as a PGY3 without knowing the system.

In psych programs, typically the call burden begins to decline after the PGY2 year. For programs where you don't take any overnight call after the PGY2 year, there is very little incentive to take on a new PGY3 because s/he does not meaningfully contribute to the call pool. Nonetheless, on a case-by-case basis some exceptions are granted. At least once within the past 5 years, for example, a resident transferred into UCSF psych as a PGY3.

-AT.

NJWxMan

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
This entire ordeal is caused by an unusual job offer that my fiance received; Most (even on this message board) would say "wow" to it. It's not set in stone at this point, but I'm scared to even bring it to my PD's attention. What if we end up NOT leaving? The PD and associated cronies are going to have **** fit over me for the next two years. I could only imagine the things that will/would be said behind my back. I wouldn't be shocked if the PD even denied me a new contract, even if I was STAYING in the end. :love:

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
This entire ordeal is caused by an unusual job offer that my fiance received; Most (even on this message board) would say "wow" to it. It's not set in stone at this point, but I'm scared to even bring it to my PD's attention. What if we end up NOT leaving? The PD and associated cronies are going to have **** fit over me for the next two years. I could only imagine the things that will/would be said behind my back. I wouldn't be shocked if the PD even denied me a new contract, even if I was STAYING in the end. :love:
I've seen 2 PGY3 transfers in my career which were prompted by this reason. Both worked out very well--but the residents involved were exemplary--the kind of individual that PDs would pay money to steal away from another program if they could. You will NEED your PD's cooperation, so let them know right away that this is "possibly happening", and "could you please help me if at all possible". It will be easier if you are up front with them, and if (I hope) you are a reasonable resident and your PD is a reasonable person. They will then hopefully go to bat for you in helping you work into a position in the new location.

Good luck with it...

NJWxMan

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
My fiance is interviewing next week and is one of four candidates for this "once in a lifetime opportunity." So, in short, I don't want to raise hell in a department for no apparent reason (unless she was guaranteed the job).

Heathcliff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
You will NEED your PD's cooperation, so let them know right away that this is "possibly happening", and "could you please help me if at all possible". It will be easier if you are up front with them, and if (I hope) you are a reasonable resident and your PD is a reasonable person. They will then hopefully go to bat for you in helping you work into a position in the new location.
I understand that a letter from the PD is required which states that the resident is in good standing at his/her current program. Assuming NJWxMan has checked the APA Clearinghouse and knows a PGY-3 position is available in the same city as his fiance's dream job: Is it possible to apply for the PGY-3 spot, receive an interview, and get an offer for the position pending a letter of good standing from the PD?

If so, NJWxMan would only "raise hell" in his current department if his fiance gets her dream job. If she does not, he could turn down the offer and no one in his current program would need to know a thing.

Last edited:

psychattending

Program Director
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Saint Louis
Status
Attending Physician
I understand that a letter from the PD is required which states that the resident is in good standing at his/her current program. Assuming NJWxMan has checked the APA Clearinghouse and knows a PGY-3 position is available in the same city as his fiance's dream job: Is it possible to apply for the PGY-3 spot, receive an interview, and get an offer for the position pending a letter of good standing from the PD?

If so, NJWxMan would only "raise hell" in his current department if his fiance gets her dream job. If she does not, he could turn down the offer and no one in his current program would need to know a thing.
PDs are required to communicate with the original PD prior to making an offer.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
PDs are required to communicate with the original PD prior to making an offer.
yes. there is no way around this. even if there were, it would be better to just be up front and transparent about the whole matter.

-AT.

Apr 2, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am looking for a PGY3 in psych... so pm me... If you do talk to your Program Director... it might help if you already know of someone who is ready to step into a position. "-)