Transferring Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berndtl1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I recently switched my major to Pre-Dental,but before that I was a Pre-Pharmacy major. My choice of major really influenced my college decision and I ended up going to a school that has a fantastic Pharmacy program, but it's Pre-Dental program is really not the best. I'm currently applying to University of Michigan as a transfer student, but I won't be able to actually attend until my junior year. I'm hesitant to transfer because I plan on applying to dental school my junior year and since my GPA will reset when I transfer, my entire GPA will be based on that one year. :eek:

So my questions are: will dental schools combine my two GPAs? And does it actually matter to dental schools where you get you Pre-Dental/UG degree? If you made it this far, thanks for reading! And I'm open to any advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

why even the need to transfer? just finish undergrad where you are

Your GPA will not start over in the eyes of dental schools. And you don't need to transfer for a 'pre-dental' major...you can major in anything as long as you get the pre-reqs done. I went to 3 different undergrads and had a business major, for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDN,

I recently switched my major to Pre-Dental,but before that I was a Pre-Pharmacy major. My choice of major really influenced my college decision and I ended up going to a school that has a fantastic Pharmacy program, but it's Pre-Dental program is really not the best. I'm currently applying to University of Michigan as a transfer student, but I won't be able to actually attend until my junior year. I'm hesitant to transfer because I plan on applying to dental school my junior year and since my GPA will reset when I transfer, my entire GPA will be based on that one year. :eek:

So my questions are: will dental schools combine my two GPAs? And does it actually matter to dental schools where you get you Pre-Dental/UG degree? If you made it this far, thanks for reading! And I'm open to any advice. :)

No point of transferring. Focus on getting a good GPA where ever you are.

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Hi SDN,

So my questions are: will dental schools combine my two GPAs? And does it actually matter to dental schools where you get you Pre-Dental/UG degree? No. If you made it this far, thanks for reading! And I'm open to any advice. :)

Sounds to me like you're attending JC/CC. Your GPA does not reset with AADSAS. You'll have to provide to AADSAS all the transcript(s) at all the colleges you've attended. Withholding any, will place you into an unfavorable position along the journey. AADSAS will keep a ledger of all the grades/marks you've acquired since the inception of your post-secondary academic career, they will also calculate various GPA's along the way. I hope your change of heart had nothing to do with rising smart phone usage + (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oumlYbwfAsI).

Good luck.:)

Sounds to me like you're attending JC/CC. Your GPA does not reset with AADSAS. You'll have to provide to AADSAS all the transcript(s) at all the colleges you've attended. Withholding any, will place you into an unfavorable position along the journey. AADSAS will keep a ledger of all the grades/marks you've acquired since the inception of your post-secondary academic career, they will also calculate various GPA's along the way. I hope your change of heart had nothing to do with rising smart phone usage + (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oumlYbwfAsI).

Good luck.:)
Haha, I actually had heard about this. Ironically, my boyfriend is currently working on a prototype for a different type of "pharmacist-replacing-robot."

But thankfully, that's not the reason I switched. I was just lucky enough to realize early on that pharmacy didn't have the patient interaction I was looking for :)

Haha, I actually had heard about this. Ironically, my boyfriend is currently working on a prototype for a different type of "pharmacist-replacing-robot.":thumbup:

But thankfully, that's not the reason I switched.:) I was just lucky enough to realize early on that pharmacy didn't have the patient interaction I was looking for :)
Ohh....there's plenty of patient interaction in pharmacy; just not the friendlier kind. Do some dental shadowing. And if all you do is stand and observe, then I'm sure the nail will be reinforced.:)

Awesome! Thanks for all the advice :)

Ohh....there's plenty of patient interaction in pharmacy; just not the friendlier kind. Do some dental shadowing. And if all you do is stand and observe, then I'm sure the nail will be reinforced.:)

Hehe, my sister is a pharmacist... there is patient interaction to be sure. I get to hear all the stories.

Wise choice.

Last edited:
Hehe, my sister is a pharmacist... there is patient interaction to be sure. I get to here all the stories.

Wise choice.
Drive-thru. nuff said.