Transferring Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herpeto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to transfer medical schools after the first year? Does the schools' reputation play a role in the transfer schools decision? Or do they simply look how one has performed academically? What type of reasoning for the transfer are they looking for?

Herp

Members don't see this ad.

Herpeto said:
How difficult is it to transfer medical schools after the first year? Does the schools' reputation play a role in the transfer schools decision? Or do they simply look how one has performed academically? What type of reasoning for the transfer are they looking for?

Herp

Not quite sure why you posted this in Pre-Allo. Are you thinking about transferring before you even apply to medical school?

http://services.aamc.org/tsp_report...=1cd6bf1-0c9d81b6-2abe-4b2d-9c99-2da2cfd0ff1d

a reason would be a spouse at that location

Members don't see this ad :)
its REALLY hard to transfer from schools, i bet some won't even let you transfer in (i know the msar says stuff about it every now and then for certain schools), they're thinking you pondered over the decision and made an educated choice about which school to go to...then you'll want to transfer? i'm sure it wouldn't look good

JunkintheTrunk said:
its REALLY hard to transfer from schools, i bet some won't even let you transfer in (i know the msar says stuff about it every now and then for certain schools), they're thinking you pondered over the decision and made an educated choice about which school to go to...then you'll want to transfer? i'm sure it wouldn't look good

Why do you say it would not look good? Look good to whom? A handful of schools accept transfers (see my link above). I'm applying for transfer now to a school that didn't accept me the first time. I've done well in my basic sciences, on the boards and in my first few months of rotations. Schools lose students that fail out, or MD/PhD spots that go to their research, and those spots aren't filled by returning students. Schools that accept transfers want to fill these spots, so thus they allow transfers. They wouldn't do it if it "didn't look good".