Transferring to a U.S. Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinaldoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now there are some schools that flat out say they will not accept students that have gone to a foreign medical school for transfer. My question, is there a site that shows all the U.S. schools that will accept a foreign medical school tranfer?

Members don't see this ad.

Now there are some schools that flat out say they will not accept students that have gone to a foreign medical school for transfer. My question, is there a site that shows all the U.S. schools that will accept a foreign medical school tranfer?

In short, NO. There is the aamc site, but it has been known to be innacurate at times and not uptodate. You have to do all the work yourself and call/email/checkoutwebsites for the most up to date info on transferring policies for each LCME allopathic school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of the thousands who attend Caribbean this is only granted to the few, if you go to the Caribbean expect to not transfer.

While it may not be easy to transfer to a US school from a Caribbean school I know a few people who went to SGU and successfully transferred back here. I spoke with a woman from SGU about this a while back and I believe she said that 5-7% of their top students transfer each year. I know of someone who transferred into Drexel. So it's definitely possible if you do well during your first year.

While it may not be easy to transfer to a US school from a Caribbean school I know a few people who went to SGU and successfully transferred back here. I spoke with a woman from SGU about this a while back and I believe she said that 5-7% of their top students transfer each year. I know of someone who transferred into Drexel. So it's definitely possible if you do well during your first year.

i think oldpro knows this, but there are a lot of premeds out there who may think "oh, i'll just go carib and then transfer back" and think of it like an alternative to a post-bacc to get into a US school, but saves you a year or two. the bottom line is you can go carib, work hard, apply for transfer and be optimistic, but at the same time be 100% satisfied with beginning your career as a caribbean graduate, because that's what is most likely going to happen. if you're not ok with that, then it's best you try to better your application and get into a US school. (it's best you try to do that anyways)

i think oldpro knows this, but there are a lot of premeds out there who may think "oh, i'll just go carib and then transfer back" and think of it like an alternative to a post-bacc to get into a US school, but saves you a year or two. the bottom line is you can go carib, work hard, apply for transfer and be optimistic, but at the same time be 100% satisfied with beginning your career as a caribbean graduate, because that's what is most likely going to happen. if you're not ok with that, then it's best you try to better your application and get into a US school. (it's best you try to do that anyways)

Absolutely I always give the advice if you want US schools then Post Bac is the way to go. (of course I'm in a Caribbean school but thats me and I know the risks and Primary care is my goal from the start at this age no time for a 7 year residency 3 is just the ticket!)

Too many ask me about Competitive residencies from the caribbean and I always say its tougher, thing is for those who really want SUrgery and Derm and Plastics ect you really have score high on the USMLE to even have a chance from the Caribbean, sometimes in the 99th percentile for that shot, from the US not so high and still you have a shot, I posted here earlier Caribbean grads only match 53% the first round of the match, US students match 93% the first round, that right there tells you something, US = Better residencies. Plain and simple, Caribbean= shot at still going to medschool for many people. :luck:

I see manu students are interested in transferring for valid reasons...I was just curious if it's really helpful b/c don't the residency directors see that you took ur first yr or 2 yrs at a Carib school? does it really help when ur trying to get those competitive residencies like dermatology and plastics? otherwise u can just stay at carib schools b/c fam prac and int med are not diffcult to obtain...just wondering....

I see manu students are interested in transferring for valid reasons...I was just curious if it's really helpful b/c don't the residency directors see that you took ur first yr or 2 yrs at a Carib school? does it really help when ur trying to get those competitive residencies like dermatology and plastics? otherwise u can just stay at carib schools b/c fam prac and int med are not diffcult to obtain...just wondering....

i remember this post from another thread that answers your question

Ok this is how it works. I'm a caribbean transfer to an LCME accredited med school. ON ERAS I say that I did my basic sciences at a carribean school and I did my clinicials at an LCME US allo school. Done deal, I am in the US med student LCME accredited school pile. There are no more issues with liscensing. I didn't even have to send in a transcript from SGU to ERAS. I only have my drexel transcript uploaded. Everyone I've interviewed with knows that I am graduating and will receive my degree from US allo school. I've gotten interviews in Texas and California, and NY. There are no more issues, life is sweet. And every interview I go to the fact that I was able to transfer is regarded as positive since I was able to work hard enough and with a little luck beat the odds. If you can transfer...do it. It will make your life a lot simpler.

At my school, we had 11 transfers my year. 7 from SGU, 3 from Ross, and one from Mexico.

I have read these posts too what I want is not that I get the residency I get the Licenses without any problem, I want Graduates who went through residencies even Competitive residencies without a problem and are licensed in states that Caribbean grads have trouble and or do not normally License in, I still do not believe it shows you as a 100% US grad and the facts are this, you can do it without repeats if you pass Step one, if before that you have to repeat most times, I know of only a very few who did not. For Most students this will not be a possibility but there is no harm in trying what we are posting is do not expect it. For many the undergrad stats would not get them accepted into medschool in the USA before the Caribbean and for these students it probably still will hinder them, the admission process in the USA is not fair.

I have read these posts too what I want is not that I get the residency I get the Licenses without any problem, I want Graduates who went through residencies even Competitive residencies without a problem and are licensed in states that Caribbean grads have trouble and or do not normally License in, I still do not believe it shows you as a 100% US grad and the facts are this, you can do it without repeats if you pass Step one, if before that you have to repeat most times, I know of only a very few who did not.

:confused:

Huh??

OK lets try again

If a MD student went to the Caribbean for part or all of Basic science then transferred to a US school then I want to know:

1. Did they get that Competitive residency?
2. If they went to a Non California School before then did they have Licensure problems? Did the Board look at all the records since you have to submit everything to them. There are several transfers from MUA N. and SMU and even SC that I know of in the past.
3. DId they have to repeat Basic science if they did not take step one yet, as far as I understand it most times yes they do, but if they take step one then they can go on to Clinicals.

These are the questions I have and the stories I have read just say "I transferred and now I'm a US Grad" "No problems" As we know there is no such thing as a sure thing so I want to know how it went for the Licensed Docs who did this. Plain and simple before I praise this move. For now I'm not so sure its everything, but it does seem to look good...................:idea:

OK lets try again

If a MD student went to the Caribbean for part or all of Basic science then transferred to a US school then I want to know:

2. If they went to a Non California School before then did they have Licensure problems? Did the Board look at all the records since you have to submit everything to them. There are several transfers from MUA N. and SMU and even SC that I know of in the past.
3. DId they have to repeat Basic science if they did not take step one yet, as far as I understand it most times yes they do, but if they take step one then they can go on to Clinicals.

These are the questions I have and the stories I have read just say "I transferred and now I'm a US Grad" "No problems" As we know there is no such thing as a sure thing so I want to know how it went for the Licensed Docs who did this. Plain and simple before I praise this move. For now I'm not so sure its everything, but it does seem to look good...................:idea:

Don't quote me on this but I talked to a Program Director at Baylor and he told me that it does affect you depends on the type of residen you want to be. As far as liscensure it is no problem because you will be a US grad. but when applying to residency they will see that you started out at a caribb. school but transfered to the states. I don't know why that is a big deal but personally I think it is a preference . Then again most places prob. just over look it and treat you like you started it out from the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK lets try again

Students who do this and graduate from the US school are, for all intents and purposes, USMG's... I followed a similar route years ago, but I attended a European school for the basic sciences and transferred to SUNY Brooklyn as an MS III. I graduated and applied like everyone else in my graduating class for residency. No problems at all for licensure. The US school that you transfer to reviews the foreign transcripts and if they find any deficiencies, they will require you to make them up with coursework. The state licensing boards will look at your US MD and accept that your US school granted your MD and will not ask you to do any "remedial" work. Your real problem is GETTING ACCEPTED as a foreign transfer student. Don't count on it. Many try and few are selected.

Last edited:
Thank you. Very clear and great information.

I wonder if there are enough who do this that there is enough evidence? I know of 3 myself but unable to keep in touch because I knew them very loosely and lost contact ( just through school) anyway I think there should be little problems myself but like diagnosing a problem I want evidence thats all.:D

OK lets try again

I met a guy in a class above mine who did one year at SGU, transferred to Drexel, did not have to repeat any basic science courses taken at SGU and matched at Stanford for orthopedic surgery.

That sounds like this guy matches your criteria.

I met a guy in a class above mine who did one year at SGU, transferred to Drexel, did not have to repeat any basic science courses taken at SGU and matched at Stanford for orthopedic surgery.

That sounds like this guy matches your criteria.

wow, i'm trying for ortho and i wouldn't mind following that exact same path. i got the transfer part down, but i think matching ortho at stanford might be even harder!

hey berkeleyboy, you mind if i ask what specialty you're trying to match? whatever it is, good luck!

wow, i'm trying for ortho and i wouldn't mind following that exact same path. i got the transfer part down, but i think matching ortho at stanford might be even harder!
Ortho is very doable coming from Drexel. Every year we have a great track record for matching Ortho. But I agree, matching Ortho at Stanford is insane...
hey berkeleyboy, you mind if i ask what specialty you're trying to match? whatever it is, good luck!

I'm applying for Surgery. 2 more weeks before I find out where!

so if u transfer after basic sciences to US school and graduate...the degree you get will be one from the US school right...I mean the committee that grants you residency will obvious know that you transferred but other than that...as long as you have a diploma from a US school...you are considered a US graduate right?

what are advantages and disadvantages of transferring to US med school

what are advantages and disadvantages of transferring to US med school

Transferring to a US med school means you wil get a US MD and be a USMG...rather than a "froreign" MD. There seems to be little downside to this if you want to apply for residency and licensure in the US. Whether or not you will be at a relative disadvantage to USMGs who did all of their training at a US medical school (for purposes of getting into residency programs) is debatable. I doubt that you would be at a disadvantage compared to IMG's.

Last edited:
thanx...does it matter what year u r transferring...for instance...most of the ppl in carib schools transfer after their basic sciences and Step 1...but some US schools, like George Washington, do accept students who have completed only their first year of basic sciences...i just want to verify that whether you transfer before or after your basic sciences, you will still get a US degree...thanks a million.

thanx...does it matter what year u r transferring......i just want to verify that whether you transfer before or after your basic sciences, you will still get a US degree...thanks a million.

It really DOESN'T matter. If you are accepted as a tranfer student by a US school and you graduate from that school, you will be a USMD, and you will definitely have an easier time gettin into a US residency and getting licensed than an FMG. Period. End of story.

Last edited:
i know this is really annoying but if you guys had to compare 1st year transfers vs 2nd year transfers, namely people who transferred after 2 semesters abroad vs. people who transferred after 4 semesters abroad + taking USMLE Step 1...which route is easiest or rather which one is more likely to lead to success? i know that people who transfer after their first year...sometimes they have to repeat 1 semester or the entire first year...please contribute, thanks alot.

i know this is really annoying but if you guys had to compare 1st year transfers vs 2nd year transfers, namely people who transferred after 2 semesters abroad vs. people who transferred after 4 semesters abroad + taking USMLE Step 1...which route is easiest or rather which one is more likely to lead to success? i know that people who transfer after their first year...sometimes they have to repeat 1 semester or the entire first year...please contribute, thanks alot.

I doubt there's anyone who can really answer that with any real authority. After all, nobody transfers after both 1st AND 2nd year, so noone can really compare. And practically speaking, it really won't matter which one is easier in the end. If you want to do it, try to transfer after 1st year, and if you don't succeed, try after 2nd year. It's not as if it being harder one year or the other will affect your decision to try to transfer.

That said, transferring after 2nd year will give you more options for schools to transfer to and make you less likely to have to repeat classes, but you'll have to do really well on step 1. Transferring after 1st year, you'll have fewer options and you'll be more likely to have to repeat a class or two, but you won't have to worry about dominating step 1. Also, and this is just a guess really, if you transfer after 1st year, your application will probably rely more on your premed achievements, but they will be important no matter when you transfer.

Students who do this and graduate from the US school are, for all intents and purposes, USMG's... I followed a similar route years ago, but I attended a European school for the basic sciences and transferred to SUNY Brooklyn as an MS III. I graduated and applied like everyone else in my graduating class for residency. No problems at all for licensure. The US school that you transfer to reviews the foreign transcripts and if they find any deficiencies, they will require you to make them up with coursework. The state licensing boards will look at your US MD and accept that your US school granted your MD and will not ask you to do any "remedial" work. Your real problem is GETTING ACCEPTED as a foreign transfer student. Don't count on it. Many try and few are selected.

Nick

for these two people who were able to transfer as img's to us med schools, what criteria was required for you to make the transfer? I am interested in transfering to a us school because i want to be closer to my spouse who is working in the states... valid reason for sure... however i think my undergraduate performance might be a problem. do these schools that accept transfer students look mostly at med school performance or do they look at everything?

for these two people who were able to transfer as img's to us med schools, what criteria was required for you to make the transfer?
Criteria used:
1. usmle step 1 score
2. med school gpa
3. mcat score
4. undergrad gpa
5. undergrad institution
6. extra currics
7. reasons for transfer

I am interested in transfering to a us school because i want to be closer to my spouse who is working in the states... valid reason for sure...

sure its valid but I think most people desire a transfer to be more competitive for residency since most of the carib students do clinicals in the usa

however i think my undergraduate performance might be a problem. do these schools that accept transfer students look mostly at med school performance or do they look at everything?

They look at everything. above everything else is medical school performance but undergrad gpa and mcat score also hold some weight. LCME schools still have their own entrance requirements for medical school to keep up.
:D

For anyone who has transferred from a carib school to a US one, can you tell me what the process is and what the timeline is like? I will be starting at SGU this august and I am not going in with the idea of transferring but it is something that i would like to consider.

Thanks

For anyone who has transferred from a carib school to a US one, can you tell me what the process is and what the timeline is like? I will be starting at SGU this august and I am not going in with the idea of transferring but it is something that i would like to consider.

Thanks

Most schools want USMLE step 1 by May of the year you want to transfer into. This will not possible if you start in the August class since you'll still be at Vinnies. People I know who have transferred from the August class have already done half or most of the their 3rd year clinicals before they matriculate into a US school, and thus they have to repeat them....but they also are repeating several rotations over again so they will know a lot more than the fresh 3rd years. That being said, redoing some rotations is a chore....but a small price to pay for the opportunity to apply for residency as a US grad.

If you are Jan class, you'll have step 1 done by march and your score will be reported by April making it an easy process to start your new medical school by June/July of the same year.

Thanks! I have another question, is it possible to transfer after 1st year of basic sciences?? This may be a bit easier since Step 1 will not have to be completed prior to transferring and I would not have to redo rotations, lengthening the process.

yes, it's possible. the problem is that all schools have a different curriculum, and it's hard to find a school that has a matching one that will take transfers from foreign schools.

after 2nd year, theoretically every student in every school should know the same material and be at the same place in their training, so it's easier to find schools to transfer to just on the basis of finding a compatable curriculum. but yes, it can be done after 1 year.

Thanks! I have another question, is it possible to transfer after 1st year of basic sciences?? This may be a bit easier since Step 1 will not have to be completed prior to transferring and I would not have to redo rotations, lengthening the process.

for these two people who were able to transfer as img's to us med schools...

Just to correct your phraseology, you generally don't transfer to a US med school as an IMG...you transfer as an undergraduate medical student who has enrolled in a foreign school but not graduated with a foreign MD. I suppose you could enroll in a US med school after attaining a foreign MD, but that is not what we are talking about.

A person who transfers to a US school to complete his studies will, if he successfully completes his studies, be awarded a US MD diploma from the US med school, and he will be a USMG, not an IMG.

For those who want to optimize their chances to match in a US residency program and have the easiest time in getting licensed, this route offers distinct advantages over trying to enter the US medical system as an IMG.

This route is NOT easy. There are very few spots in US med schools for transfers into the 2nd and 3rd years. Some of these spots are reserved for US to US school transfers, and fewer spots are available for foreign students to transfer in to US schools. Your chance of succeeding in getting into a US med school by this route is much less than your chance of getting accepted the "traditional" way. It's still worth trying. :)

Last edited:
If you were to do well during 1st and 2nd year at a foreign medical school and then do well on the USMLE step 1 does the MCAT get factored in significantly?

If you were to do well during 1st and 2nd year at a foreign medical school and then do well on the USMLE step 1 does the MCAT get factored in significantly?

They may consider your MCAT scores, but I'm not sure: some schools may consider the MCAT and others may not.

Things have changed from when I came back from Italy as a transfer student in 1988. I took the MSKP (a defunct exam) and retook the MCAT and submitted both scores along with my transcripts and LORs. The USMLE didn't exist back then. I know that my school did consider my MCAT scores as well as my MSKP scores.

Last edited:

from what i've seen, i think it still plays a pretty big role. first, most people applying for transfer will have great grades and great step 1 scores, so there has to be a way to differentiate between all of them for the very few spots available. second, i think the premed stats of the accepted transfer students get averaged into the school's stats, and they don't want you dragging down their numbers.

this is just anecdotal, but i interviewed with a person trying to transfer into 3rd year. he had a 4.0 from a top 3 carib school and a 268 step 1, but wasn't accepted, and he told me that other schools didn't even interview him because he didn't meet their mcat cutoffs (he had a 22). maybe he invented the part about the cutoffs to explain to himself why he wasn't getting interviews, maybe not. i don't know, but 268 is an absolutely sick step 1 score and he wasn't getting anywhere.

Is it possible to use your grades at a Carribian school to apply to US schools as a first year student, rather than transfering? Does anyone know someone whose done this? I know that an SMP would probably be a better program for that, but there's a good chance that I'm not going to be accepted into one and I'm looking at other options.

Is it possible to in one application pool to apply as both a transfer AND a 1st year student? That is if you don't get in as a transfer they will consider you as a first year?

Thanks!

and perrotfish, i'm assuming that's it's possible. I'm thinking of doing the same thing instead of post bacc work.

Is it possible to in one application pool to apply as both a transfer AND a 1st year student? That is if you don't get in as a transfer they will consider you as a first year?

Thanks!

and perrotfish, i'm assuming that's it's possible. I'm thinking of doing the same thing instead of post bacc work.

of course its possible.

Heard From Drexel For Interview?
Heard From Tulane ?
Heard From Neoucom?
Heard From Other?

I recently got accepted to SGU priority waitlist or I can go to Newcastle campus in England gauranteed in august. I have a 3.56 and 26 mcat 6v,9p,11b with English as a second language. Should I just take my seat at SGU or apply again to US Med Schools while in a one year masters. I got into Columbia's Masters in Human nutrition but it's really expensive. My main goal is to be a Cardiologist and many people tell me its easy to get into internal medicine from carribeans and thus I have nothing to worry about. Any advice on what I should do ?

I recently got accepted to SGU priority waitlist or I can go to Newcastle campus in England gauranteed in august. I have a 3.56 and 26 mcat 6v,9p,11b with English as a second language. Should I just take my seat at SGU or apply again to US Med Schools while in a one year masters. I got into Columbia's Masters in Human nutrition but it's really expensive. My main goal is to be a Cardiologist and many people tell me its easy to get into internal medicine from carribeans and thus I have nothing to worry about. Any advice on what I should do ?

I had the same situation and took the waitlist seat at SGU. There's a lot less distraction in Grenada so it easier to study for hours on end since there's little else to do.

However, ask Berkeleyboy since he was at SGU in Grenada.

of course its possible.

Just to clarify...I got into the Jan '08 class at SGU but am re-taking the MCAT next month just to see if I can do any better. Are you saying that I could apply to US schools for Fall '08 as a first year but still go down to SGU for the Jan term and just see what happens?

Can I tell you, I have talked to a guy this past week with a 3.6 GPA Sci GPA of 3.6 and MCAT of 32 who did not get into oneschool out of 10 applied to, so what do you want to believe? Too many make this seem like a cake walk when I'm posting on threads like this it is not...................... It is more than the numbers that get you into a US school, few transfer into a school from the Caribbean. In the end Practice is the goal and you can do that from a Caribbean school.

Can I tell you, I have talked to a guy this past week with a 3.6 GPA Sci GPA of 3.6 and MCAT of 32 who did not get into oneschool out of 10 applied to, so what do you want to believe? Too many make this seem like a cake walk when I'm posting on threads like this it is not...................... It is more than the numbers that get you into a US school, few transfer into a school from the Caribbean. In the end Practice is the goal and you can do that from a Caribbean school.

One of my friends got to Drexler with a 19Mcat and a overall 3.5 GPA, but it is a 5 yrs program...

One of my friends got to Drexler with a 19Mcat and a overall 3.5 GPA, but it is a 5 yrs program...

Yeah I'm not saying it's impossible but its really misleading to tell someone go to a Caribbean (You fill in which school) and you can transfer into a US school

It's wrong for anyone , IMO, to go to the Caribbean thinking this is done often, it is not, and it should be stressed that few are successful at this.

Thats my point and it should be posted every time this is asked.

I know it's not easy to do, not everyone can do it, yadda yadda. That question was mroe just for logistical reasons...wanting to know more about the process...not expecting it or anything, it's just good to know how it works.

A lot of people have been PM about what I had to do in order to transfer from SGU to an LCME US school. I've decided it would be a lot easier to just post all my thoughts here rather than have to re-write everything every single time I get an inquiry.

A little bit about my background:
great undergrad institution: obvioulsy UC berkeley from my name
not so great overall GPA: 3.19
an even lower science GPA: 2.875
MCAT 30
I DID NOT apply to US schools because I didn't think I was competitive enough. I applied directly to SGU while in college and matriculated 1 month after I graduated. This is a decision I do not regret since I was highly motivated at the time and in addition, I am very impatient and hate waiting.
I know everyone has a different path to take to get into med school and I respect that....I just can't sit around and wait for things to happen.

First, I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to give transferring a shot and I knew that having good grades in medical school and a high step 1 score would def. give me the best shot of doing just that. I went down to SGU not with the mentality that I was def. going to transfer, I went down there knowing that in order for me to have a chance at attaining a decent residency I would have to crush my boards. If in the end I got to transfer than I could have icing on my cake.

I tried to get as many A's as possible as well as tried my best to get involved. I ended up teaching 2 DES classes: physiology and biochemistry while down there. I taught the classes only part time with a friend so it really didn't take too much time. I enjoyed teaching and it was something I could write about in my personal statement and put on my CV. Other than that, I studied hard EVERYDAY mostly skipping lecture and just reading the syllabus on my own. I partied hard after exams, explored the other islands and had a great time on the beaches and my overall experience on the islands was fantastic.

When 2nd year came, I started asking for LORs. I had established a good relationship with one of the anatomy proffesors by chance actually (we were stranded on one of the neighboring islands together b/c we both missed our flights to come back to Grenada, enabling us to spend several hours to talk about nothing). I had done well in anatomy and got a great letter from him.
For my second LOR, I asked one of the pathophysiology prof's at vinnies who I didn't know so well but still ended up getting a great letter since he was such a nice guy.

I asked for letters early since I knew it would be a biatch to get them once I left the islands. I had all the letters (including a dean's letter-which at SGU is a generic letter printed out by the secretary using your class rank and a premade template) sent to my undergrads mail service so I could store them and send them out to whatever schools I was planning to apply to in the future.

Now, you can transfer in 2 different ways:

after 1st year: you complete all the first year classes and apply without a USMLE step 1 score and enter the 2nd year (much more limited to find open spots) can happen, but I didn't bother with it. I was in the groove of studying, doing well at SGU and wanted to get a high step 1 score before I attempted to transfer.

after 2nd year: this is what I did, I did well in the two years I spent in Grenada and st. vincent, I didn't have a 4.0 but I was close with a 3.83. I've seen people transfer with as low of a 3.5 or 3.3 but I figured I would just study my ass off and give myself the best possible shot.

A note about board scores, I have heard of an extremely wide variation in board scores of those who have transferred to a US school. of course most of them were pretty high (I got a 240/97).

And the rest in my class who transferred were all up there, of those who I know who transferred to any US medical school over the past few years

213(ross) --> yes, 213!
218 (europe)
226 (SGU)
230(ross)
260(ross)
240(SGU)
248(SGU)
256(SGU)
242 (SGU)
236 (SGU)

as you can see the there is wide variation with most scores being very competitive. I know for a fact there isn't any one score that can get you in, and I have heard of people with even higher scores or similar scores not even getting an interview because there were not enough spots available that year.

Next: what schools to apply to? I actually took my time and contacted every single LCME accreditted school (either by website, email, phone) to determine whether the school:
1. accepted foriegn medical students as a transfer
2. and if they anticipated having spots for 2nd or 3rd year

Some places fit the above criteria but they required you to be a resident of that state and being a california resident, I quickly crossed those schools off my list.

Now at this point, I didn't know if I was really willing to do 2nd year over. But I just wanted to know all my options and I'd figure out later what I would finally decide to do.

I ended up finding about 12 schools that accepts transfer students from WHO accreditted foriegn medical schools into either 2nd or 3rd year.
I followed up with 6 schools which told me they might had a possibility of anticipating spots for the next year. Now that I think about it, there was one school that told me that they had no spots (NYmed) and later that year I found out that a buddy of mine was able to transfer there. What I think happenned is that despite the fact that the school said they didn't anticipate any spots he still put in his application. When a spot opened up, his was one of the few applications in the pile and he got in!

off the top of my head (granted policies might have changed) schools that accept foriegn students irregardless of state residency:

Darthmouth
Columbia
UMDNJ robert wood johnson
drexel
temple
tulane
suny upstate syracuse
suny upstate stonybrook
NEOUCOM
George Washington
NY med
University of virginia

I ended up applying to Drexel, temple, tulane, suny syracuse, NEOUCOM, and GW. Even though Univ. of Virginia had spots I decided against applying there because they wanted 7 letters of rec. 3 from undergrad, 3 from med school, 1 med school deans letter. AND, they would only let you transfer into the 2nd year meaning I would have to repeat a year. F that....too much work, plus I didn't have that many LORs.

oh yes, the requirements for 3rd year transfer:
1. you need an mcat score (so if you went to a caribbean school that doens't require an mcat score-sorry bud, and they actually want to see a decent mcat score because they don't want to drop the stats of the school)
2. fulfill all the 1st year med pre-requisites of the medical school (ochem, gchem, bio...etc..)
3. Med school courses
4. USMLE step1
5. LORs: 2 med school LORs, 1 med school deans letter, 2 undergrad LORs
6. US citizen or Permanent residents (sorry canadians!)
7. application fees were about 50-100 bucks per application.
8. personal statement

I heard back and was invited for interview at 3/6 schools I had applied to.
GW, Drexel, and NEOUCOM.

Check this out, the year I applied there were a ton of transfer spots. Drexel had 11. NEOUCOM had, get this: a whopping 22 spots and they gave out like 24 interviews so getting the interview (which cost 650 dollars to attend a 3 day interview) was basically like getting into the school. To this day, I have never heard of anything as ridiculous as that and even this current year they anticipate only 2 spots into the M3 year for transfer.

To make a long story short, I ended up hearing from Drexel about a week after I interviewed and the rest is history. I spent about 2000 + dollars on the entire transfer application process, this including in airfare, application fees, and hotels and it was worth every penny.

I was fortunate enough to start at SGU right after I graduated undergrad and did not have to repeat any of my medical school career....but I did not plan it out this way, I seriously just went down to SGU willing to give it the best shot as I possibly could and things just worked out. I would have been 100% happy with a degree from St. George's and have made some of my closest friends down there in Grenada. I've always been thankful to SGU for giving me a chance to become a doctor and my loyalty has always been towards SGU. I will forever be partial to Both Drexel and SGU for allowing me to receive my medical degree.

I hoped this helped all of you starting down in Grenada or any caribbean medical school who are thinking about transferring. Its difficult but not impossible by any means. Think about this, you'll never know if you don't apply. and there are a lot of competitve applicants that weed themselves out by not even throwing in an application.

final words: lets take one school SGU: if there are 250 per semester and lets say that 50 have grades competitive enough to transfer and only about 20 apply. double the 250 b/c of 2 semesters of incoming classes and you have about 40 people form SGU applying for transfer any one year.

if all the schools I listed took 1-2 each per year (heck maybe more), thats about 10-15 spots available that 40 st. george's and maybe another 20 from Ross are applying for.

10-15 for 60 people aren't that bad odds. Its def. not the 5% thats quoted on the SGU website that takes into account all the students who don't even attempt to transfer.

take care and good luck.

Berk

Good Job Berkley Boy! I do dissagree with your rational on the percentage that makes it in transferring, there are een fewer US spots today then 3 years ago per the number applying, and you cannot base stats with just one or two schools since I know of 4 students from two different schools that are not "Big 4 " Schools who transfered into a US school. Since they do transfer from any of the Caribbean schools then the % is lower ( there are over 30 Caribbean schools)

Good Job Berkley Boy! I do dissagree with your rational on the percentage that makes it in transferring, there are een fewer US spots today then 3 years ago per the number applying, and you cannot base stats with just one or two schools since I know of 4 students from two different schools that are not "Big 4 " Schools who transfered into a US school. Since they do transfer from any of the Caribbean schools then the % is lower ( there are over 30 Caribbean schools)

I do understand your rationale old pro, there are other students who do not attend the BIG 4 schools who have been fortunate enough to transfer, but they are not the majority. Of the several transfer admissions comittees I have spoken with, they have all told me that every year they get anywhere from 50-150 applications per year and that they tend to give interviews to schools they recognize to have produced well trained medical students/physicians: SGU and Ross. The majority of transfer acceptances come from SGU and ROSS.

I know this doesn't exactly prove a point based on only an observation.
In my class at Drexel, 11 of us transferred
7 came from SGU
3 came from Ross
and 1 was from Mexico (he was the first they have ever taken from Mexico).

I know about 10 others in the same year who transferred to NEOUCOM from SGU and Ross. I have heard of a couple of people transfer from the Ireland schools and another from AUC, and I'm sure there are a few others out there... but this is far from the majority.

I think its safe to say that most of the transfer seats go to SGU and Ross students....at least from a Drexel standpoint. Could this change in the future? Definitely! And as I said before, I'm basing this purely on an observational standpoint. The point I was trying to make was, that if you do reasonably well at SGU/Ross and your boards AND you fit the requirements for transfer than it really isn't "impossible situation" most medical students make transferring out to be. I've probably met over 30 people (residents, medical students, and attending physicians) in the 4 years I've been in the medical field who have transferred into an LCME school. It certainly isn't the norm, but it happens a lot more than people think. There are a lot of people out there who like to make excuses and discourage people from trying. I remember all the people who told me not to apply to a caribbean school back in 2002...its just ridiculous to hear so much skepticism.

And the number of transfer seats varies per year. I know I got lucky being in a year where the number of transfer seats was ridiculously high. The year before mine, there were none. And the year after mine, I believe Drexel took 5 and NEOUCOM did not have a single spot.

This year I know for a fact Drexel has multiple spots again, NEOUCOM has 2.
It really does vary from year to year.

PS...I'm glad you enjoyed the post old pro. Best of luck to you!

BerkleyBoy, I want you to know I really think you did a great Job,
I'm just from the school of Do not go into this thinking transfer go into this thinking DOC and Practice, focus on the goal, if one does successfully transfer that is a bonus for them if they felt they had to.