Transferring to Caribbean medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noorhasan1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently in my third year of medical school (mbbs) in pakistan at Dow International Medical College. I went straight out of highschool. I was looking into transferring into a medical schpol in the carribeans p. I did a lot of research and the only schools which were accepting my credits and placing me directly into md5 were Xavier medical in Aruba and Windsor medical in St Kitts.
The reason I am applying to transfer is because I want to complete my clinical rotations in the U.S. I am a citizen and eventually after completing my studies want to practice in the states.
I would like to know;
Are these the only two medical schools in carribeans I can apply to without an undergrad degree.
Are either of these schools worth going to?
If so which is the best option for me?
Please let me know any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Check the accreditation status of these two schools to see if they are eligible for licensure in all 50 states in US. If not, do not go to either school.

You could alternatively arrange for elective rotations in the US as a visiting student. Consult the school website of US medical schools and see if you are eligible to apply for the visiting student elective.

Hi I am currently in my third year of medical school (mbbs) in pakistan at Dow International Medical College. I went straight out of highschool. I was looking into transferring into a medical schpol in the carribeans p. I did a lot of research and the only schools which were accepting my credits and placing me directly into md5 were Xavier medical in Aruba and Windsor medical in St Kitts.
The reason I am applying to transfer is because I want to complete my clinical rotations in the U.S. I am a citizen and eventually after completing my studies want to practice in the states.
I would like to know;
Are these the only two medical schools in carribeans I can apply to without an undergrad degree.
Are either of these schools worth going to?
If so which is the best option for me?
Please let me know any help would be greatly appreciated.

Transferring to either of those schools is a very very bad idea if you wish to ultimately practice in the US. I am not familiar with how Pakistani MBBS degrees are structured, but if it is similar to those offered in the UK you may have an easier time transferring to a school there. The only other avenue, besides completing your MBBS in Pakistan, might be to try to transfer into one of the more reputable Caribbean schools such as SGU or Ross as a 3rd year student after completing the basic sciences portion of your degree. You would probably need to contact their admissions department directly to find out if this is possible, and this would be a very long shot at best. It may very well be faster and safer to complete your degree in Pakistan and then pursue other options for doing residency training in the US.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete your degree in Pakistan. After that, Take the USMLE step 1 and 2 and apply for residency in the USA. My friend went through same thing, he got his degree from Pakistan and recently took Step 1 and now he is currently studying for step 2. it takes 6 years to get MBBS in Pakistan. first 4 years are book books books then last 2 years are more like rotations i think they called it house job or something like that. Then after that you are awarded MBBS. Btw, Dow is one of the best med schools in Pakistan.

Last edited:
If a U.S. citizen, why did you go to your home country for med school?
While the proposed ideas above are valid, do know that your chances of obtaining residency are very low. It's just a state of things here with the system and not because of you as an individual. Just be open to the fact that you will more than very likely have to stay and practice in Pakistan. I would hope that isn't a bad thing for you, as you'll be practicing as a physician regardless of location. Good luck

Is the school in pakistan still military run with a long commitment?

Lots of people actually take this short cut route, by going to med school in pakistan right after graduating from high school.

Lots of people actually take this short cut route, by going to med school in pakistan right after graduating from high school.

I do recall having a classmate freshman year of college who moved there to attend medical school. Through the grape vine, I heard that his parents "made him go" because they feared he would party too much here. Sadly, parents don't know best in these cases. They may reflect back to a time where fmg's had much easier times practicing here but alas such time no longer exists.
I believe nearly all countries do the norm of having med school after high school. It's a range of 5 to 7 years for them. The only oddballs are the U.S. and Canada, making med school a graduate program. However while it may seem like a shortcut to hit your native land, it becomes a huge heartache in the long run. A U.S. citizen trained in his native land never looks hot in the eyes of a US residency director. The individual is thought of as a person who "short-cuts life" and/or couldn't hack it in college. Op's reasons may be family-based but nonetheless, no mercy is given.

Reactions: 1 users