Transferring to different store and pay rate cut?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

curtislemansky

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

So, I have been licensed for 3 months and working at a store that is about an 1.5 hour drive. I was recently asked to switch to a store (that is about a 30 minute drive) where a pharmacist was fired for whatever reason. My supervisor called and said I was the first person that came to mind for the open spot. I was told that the other store originally belonged to another district, so the pay rate might be lower. I have not heard back when I will be switched over or about the pay rate.

I would love to switch, but the pay rate thing has me a little concerned. I am currently at a store that desperately needed consistent pharmacists to stay there, so my starting pay was a little higher. I also remember from my interview that my supervisor said he pays all his pharmacists the same. I have some leverage to ask for the same pay rate since I will be the only immunizing pharmacist at the other store.

I guest what I am wondering is if this is possible? Can they ask me to change to a different store and still lower my pay?
 
Hello all,

So, I have been licensed for 3 months and working at a store that is about an 1.5 hour drive. I was recently asked to switch to a store (that is about a 30 minute drive) where a pharmacist was fired for whatever reason. My supervisor called and said I was the first person that came to mind for the open spot. I was told that the other store originally belonged to another district, so the pay rate might be lower. I have not heard back when I will be switched over or about the pay rate.

I would love to switch, but the pay rate thing has me a little concerned. I am currently at a store that desperately needed consistent pharmacists to stay there, so my starting pay was a little higher. I also remember from my interview that my supervisor said he pays all his pharmacists the same. I have some leverage to ask for the same pay rate since I will be the only immunizing pharmacist at the other store.

I guest what I am wondering is if this is possible? Can they ask me to change to a different store and still lower my pay?

Two hours less drive time per day?! Take it! I mean it's fine for you to ask for the same pay as you currently receive but 2 extra hours per day for you? A small pay decrease cannot possibly be as bad as the gas/miles/time of the longer commute. Congradulations!
 
Last edited:
What Owl said...you'll gain back 520 hours of commute time per year.

That's a huge gain.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your responses,

I definitely see the huge gain in personal time from switching. I just think it was a little weird that they are asking me to do something for them, but also asking me to take a pay cut. I will probably ask for my current pay, but I would compromise too.

I'm just not use to this "real world" thing. I've only had two jobs previous to this one. I never asked for a raise at my first job as a tech since I just let my work speak for itself. My second job was as an intern at CVS, so I was given a yearly raise.
 
Thanks for your responses,

I definitely see the huge gain in personal time from switching. I just think it was a little weird that they are asking me to do something for them, but also asking me to take a pay cut. I will probably ask for my current pay, but I would compromise too.

I'm just not use to this "real world" thing. I've only had two jobs previous to this one. I never asked for a raise at my first job as a tech since I just let my work speak for itself. My second job was as an intern at CVS, so I was given a yearly raise.

In direct answer to your question, when I worked at a grocery store chain this was very common. Transferring to a different district always meant a pay adjustment to whatever the pay scale was in the new district. I have no idea how common it is in the pharmacy world, but really I suggest you just be thrilled about your new commute. Anyway good luck and I hope you do get to keep your current pay rate.
 
Last edited:
The drive is bad, but you get paid for the drive also. It's around $10,000 a year in cash...correct me if I'm wrong