Transferring to UT Austin?

nrgcb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman with around 60-65 credits more or less (including AP exams) from UTRGV hoping to finally go to my dream school. Didn't even bother applying as a high schooler because of a terrible rank from a competitive, medically-inclined high school (Top 30%).

I'm planning to apply veeeery soon for Spring 2017. These are the classes I took my freshman year of college:
• Gen Bio 1 & 2
• Gen Chem 1 & 2
• Gen Physics 1 & 2
• Political Science 1 & 2
• Elementary Statistics

Institutional (UTRGV First Year): 4.0
Overall GPA (including dual enrollment from HS): 3.5

I improved a lot since high school. UT will be asking for a HS transcript to check for Foreign Language credits but I don't think they'll consider my rank or SAT/ACT scores. I'm not intellectually inclined BUT I work hard to get all A's.

I'm also a Pre-Dental student hoping to transfer to UT's College of Natural Sciences, and I'm actually certified in Dental Assisting, shadowed several dentists from different specialties, volunteered for dental/non-dental community service, etc.

I'm confident I can make great essays. I am also an English minor here at UTRGV, and LORs are no biggie. I am a good girl/student hehe. I just want to know if my chances are high up there, because I am a Longhorn at heart.

Also, I'm Asian. Idk if that's irrelevant or not, but I know UT is big on diversity but yeah.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a freshman with around 60-65 credits more or less (including AP exams) from UTRGV hoping to finally go to my dream school. Didn't even bother applying as a high schooler because of a terrible rank from a competitive, medically-inclined high school (Top 30%).

I'm planning to apply veeeery soon for Spring 2017. These are the classes I took my freshman year of college:
• Gen Bio 1 & 2
• Gen Chem 1 & 2
• Gen Physics 1 & 2
• Political Science 1 & 2
• Elementary Statistics

Institutional (UTRGV First Year): 4.0
Overall GPA (including dual enrollment from HS): 3.5

I improved a lot since high school. UT will be asking for a HS transcript to check for Foreign Language credits but I don't think they'll consider my rank or SAT/ACT scores. I'm not intellectually inclined BUT I work hard to get all A's.

I'm also a Pre-Dental student hoping to transfer to UT's College of Natural Sciences, and I'm actually certified in Dental Assisting, shadowed several dentists from different specialties, volunteered for dental/non-dental community service, etc.

I'm confident I can make great essays. I am also an English minor here at UTRGV, and LORs are no biggie. I am a good girl/student hehe. I just want to know if my chances are high up there, because I am a Longhorn at heart.

Also, I'm Asian. Idk if that's irrelevant or not, but I know UT is big on diversity but yeah.
So your overall GPA, up to this point, is a 4.0 not including HS dual enrollment? High school grades won't matter too much if you earned nothing but A's at UTRGV... you should have a very good shot at transferring to UT. Just make sure you meet all the requirements and submit everything on time.

So your overall GPA, up to this point, is a 4.0 not including HS dual enrollment? High school grades won't matter too much if you earned nothing but A's at UTRGV... you should have a very good shot at transferring to UT. Just make sure you meet all the requirements and submit everything on time.
Well, yes so far I have a 4.0 institutional GPA where I currently am. But looking in their website http://catalog.utexas.edu/general-information/admission/undergraduate-admission/transfer-admission/ it states that they count ALL college credit attempted from any institution, therefore, they are looking more into my overall GPA. That includes dual enrollment from high school. Do you still think I have a good chance?

Your high GPA at the collegiate level will likely carry more weight than any high school grades that you earned.

Well, yes so far I have a 4.0 institutional GPA where I currently am. But looking in their website http://catalog.utexas.edu/general-information/admission/undergraduate-admission/transfer-admission/ it states that they count ALL college credit attempted from any institution, therefore, they are looking more into my overall GPA. That includes dual enrollment from high school. Do you still think I have a good chance?