transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompi90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I know there were similar threads to this topic, but I wanted to know how transferring out my college to another university as an undergrad (transferring at the end of my sophomore year) would affect my chances of getting into med school? what would med school admissions think of that move? I didn't find any satisfying answers in the other threads.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

I know there were similar threads to this topic, but I wanted to know how transferring out my college to another university as an undergrad (transferring at the end of my sophomore year) would affect my chances of getting into med school? what would med school admissions think of that move? I didn't find any satisfying answers in the other threads.

thanks

It doesn't matter as long as you do well in the school you transfer into. Basically schools don't care as long as you do well. Don't go from a 3.5 at your old school to a 2.2 at your new school...

would it hurt my recommendations, since I won't know the profs as well in my new school, as compared to my old one?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

thanks

I transferred after my freshman year from a liberal arts college to a top 20 big university.

I did better at the university than at the college, but even if you kept your academic regard the same I don't think it would hurt you at all.

At pretty much every interview the school asked one question about why I had transferred, but that's about it.

Regardless, it didn't seem to affect me negatively at all. In fact, I used my transferring experience in some of my essays (e.g., how I adjusted quickly to a new, strenous academic environment). Results: 5 allo acceptances and some money from schools.

would it hurt my recommendations, since I won't know the profs as well in my new school, as compared to my old one?

First, get to know profs now. It's important.

Second, you can have a rec or two from your old school. But try to arrange that big letters (ones from pre-req or upper level science courses) come from the school your getting the degree from if possible.