Transfers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datu

Founding Father
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Does anyone know offhand which West Coast schools admit D1 or D2 transfer students from other US schools? I know Loma Linda will only admit matriculated dental students as D1, but I'm looking for a place where I can continue, not start over.

My motivation to transfer is due primarily to family issues and finances. I'm just finishing my first year at NYU, ranking about midway in the class. And for the record, NYU isn't all that bad, although the price makes one expect much more and I'm just not given to life in the Big Apple.

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

At this point you can also rule out UOP-- They require all transfer students to start from scratch. That leaves you with UCSF, UCLA and USC.

USC is just as expensive as NYU, and since you mentioned finances as a factor, perhaps this rules out USC as well. That leaves you with UCSF and UCLA. I don't know what the transfer policy is at these two schools.

Transfers are highly unusual and are done only under very special circumstances. You should contact the admissions offices at those schools and ask them directly.

If you don't mind asking, what is it about NYC that you couldn't live with? Just curious.

HTH.

I'm actually also interested in knowing more about transfers. I got into some schools in Boston but I would really like to be close to home (Maryland). I was thinking of reapplying next year...but would prefer to go to Boston for an year and transfer to UMaryland or another school close to here.

Does anyone know if UMaryland, UPenn or VCU accepts transfer students.

Thanks
Aurora

Members don't see this ad :)
Aurora said:
I'm actually also interested in knowing more about transfers. I got into some schools in Boston but I would really like to be close to home (Maryland). I was thinking of reapplying next year...but would prefer to go to Boston for an year and transfer to UMaryland or another school close to here.

Does anyone know if UMaryland, UPenn or VCU accepts transfer students.

Thanks
Aurora

DON'T!!!

NEVER, EVER TRANSFER DURING DENTAL SCHOOL IF YOU CAN HELP IT.

As I said before, dental school transfers are highly unusual and only done in very special circumstances.

You wouldn't believe how much more complicated it makes things. Just pick a school you feel you will be comfortable at for four years, and stick with it.

HTH.

hey Datu....

this may sound silly but.....if money is the issue.....how about living somwehere in NJ and travelling....you could live somewhere in Princeton or Metro Park or some place like that and share your apartment with some bachelors.....preferably students.....this will probably bring your expenses down quite a bit.....the main problem I see is the amount of time wasted in travelling.....

UBTom said:
(snip) USC is just as expensive as NYU, and since you mentioned finances as a factor, perhaps this rules out USC as well. (snip)

If you don't mind asking, what is it about NYC that you couldn't live with? Just curious.

HTH.

USC is indeed very expensive, but were I in Los Angeles, I wouldn't be spending extra for accommodation (which amounts to about $1400 monthly) or airfare, so that's about $14K in the bank per annum, even considering the obligatory car-related expenses that are part and parcel of L.A. living. Quite a bit of money.

Besides, I spent my undergraduate years in the NYC area, and basically ended up here again by default (my other choices were BU and Detroit) since I didn't make the cut at any of the CA schools (and understandably so). Because of this, I figured I'd attempt, if possible, to transfer at the end of the first or second year.

Adding the fact that I have parents back home that aren't in the best of health (although they do just fine on their own and are against me doing anything that could potentially interrupt my studies), what's more at issue in this regard I guess is my own peace of mind!

BTW, UCLA does not accept transfer students under any circumstances, for those who'd like to know, I talked to them this morning.

Cheers!

to Datu:

Best of luck whatever you choose. Transferring is a lot of hassle and hopefully it will be worth it to you in the end.