Transformation vs conjugation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inaccensa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Transformation can occur, if exogenous gene is taken up and recombined in the native DNA. However, if the phase-resistant bacteria are not heat killed, how do you get transformation. I picked conjugation which is incorrect. Thanks. I dont want to lose points on such fine details. Help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Doc1.docx
    85.9 KB · Views: 44
Transformation can occur, if exogenous gene is taken up and recombined in the native DNA. However, if the phase-resistant bacteria are not heat killed, how do you get transformation. I picked conjugation which is incorrect. Thanks. I dont want to lose points on such fine details. Help is appreciated.

Do you mean PHAGE- resistant? Either way, if the bacteria is heat killed, it can't 'pick up' the exogenous DNA.

Do you mean PHAGE- resistant? Either way, if the bacteria is heat killed, it can't 'pick up' the exogenous DNA.

Yes Phage, sorry. I meant if the bacteria with the resistance is heat killed, wouldnt the bacteria lacking resistance pick it up? did you check the q? Thanks

Yes Phage, sorry. I meant if the bacteria with the resistance is heat killed, wouldnt the bacteria lacking resistance pick it up? did you check the q? Thanks

missed the doc the first time around, my bad.

I would have said transformation too since it was placed on the agar. I guess it could be conjugation though because it could pick it up and transfer it that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
missed the doc the first time around, my bad.

I would have said transformation too since it was placed on the agar, but if that's not the right answer I'd say B.

Based on your explanation, I dont think I understand the concept too well. My reasoning was the since it has resistance, it will form the pilus and transfer the plasmid with the resistance, but it doesnt seem to work that way. Must the question specify that the bacteria has capable of undergoing conjugation, even though it has some resistance. I kept thinking that transformation only occurs when there are naked pieces around the cell to pick up. If you dont mind explaining, how is this transfer exactly occuring..Thanks a lot

Based on your explanation, I dont think I understand the concept too well. My reasoning was the since it has resistance, it will form the pilus and transfer the plasmid with the resistance, but it doesnt seem to work that way. Must the question specify that the bacteria has capable of undergoing conjugation, even though it has some resistance. I kept thinking that transformation only occurs when there are naked pieces around the cell to pick up. If you dont mind explaining, how is this transfer exactly occuring..Thanks a lot

that's transduction. picking up 'naked pieces' of DNA in the medium is transformation...honestly, i'm not too sure how it would work in this scenario since it has to be inevitably picked up by the bacteria and then transferred. Where did you get this question from?

that's transduction. picking up 'naked pieces' of DNA in the medium is transformation...honestly, i'm not too sure how it would work in this scenario since it has to be inevitably picked up by the bacteria and then transferred. Where did you get this question from?

EK bio. Yeah Transduction is using virus, so that is out and I'm really confused with their transformation explanation. The only reason I picked conjugation was that DNA couldnt be transferred by transformation unless the DNA was present in the media surrounding the cells.