Transfusion Medicine text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainsalads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first rotation as a pathologist is transfusion medicine. I would like to prime up on it before I start, does anyone have any recommendations for a good text?

Members don't see this ad.

i would definitely get the most current AABB tech manual and the AABB standards. Practical transfusion medicine, 3rd edition by Murphy and Pamphilon pub by wiley-blackwell 2009 s current and covers things pretty well

One other thing you can do before starting the rotation is to listen to the Blood Bank mp3's from the Osler Course (if you know someone who has the CD's). It is about 5 hours total, but you can listen in the car or whatever. The lectures are great, very practical and funny. I listened to them about 5 times or so (seriously! just listened in the car everyday. nerdy but an easy way to get some studying in. ) before my first blood bank rotation and when I started the attending was amazed that it was my first month of blood bank! Not saying I am awesome or anything, but just that these lectures are (I don't get paid to say this, but I want to promote a helpful resource).

The lecture is given by Joe Chaffin, MD (aka "the blood bank guy"). His website has a lot of useful info:http://www.bbguy.org/

Members don't see this ad :)
You should've been able to search for this answer because I think I've answered something similar previously.

I've always liked Practical Guide to Transfusion Medicine by Petrides. It sells for ~$100 on the AABB website. The AABB also sells a bunch of handbooks that may be helpful on your rotations.

----- Antony

One other thing you can do before starting the rotation is to listen to the Blood Bank mp3's from the Osler Course (if you know someone who has the CD's). It is about 5 hours total, but you can listen in the car or whatever. The lectures are great, very practical and funny. I listened to them about 5 times or so (seriously! just listened in the car everyday. nerdy but an easy way to get some studying in. ) before my first blood bank rotation and when I started the attending was amazed that it was my first month of blood bank! Not saying I am awesome or anything, but just that these lectures are (I don't get paid to say this, but I want to promote a helpful resource).

The lecture is given by Joe Chaffin, MD (aka "the blood bank guy"). His website has a lot of useful info:http://www.bbguy.org/

definitely agree. joe chaffin is the best. these lectures alone are enough to pass the TM portion of the boards.

Is there anywhere I can get the Osler lecture mp3s free somewhere?

I wouldn't bother with the MP3s -- just the handouts from www.bbguy.org. The official MP3s are out of date, and Chaffin is now putting together podcasts of his lectures anyhow.

And, believe it or not, Henry's is a really good source for the non-practical BB stuff.

The mp3's that I have are from 2007, so they are a bit old. And normally I am much more visual in my learning rather than auditory (I guess like most pathologists!). But I still found the mp3's to be very useful because I could study them in the car during the time I normally just waste driving. I was able to study probably hundreds of hours of lectures over the past year and a half or so since I started doing this. Just my 2 cents.