Technology Transition from a Mac to a PC...how hard is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get a Macbook or Macbook pro. Bootcamp will do the job. If you don't want to reboot to switch operating system get something like Fusion which will allow you to run windows within Mac OS X.:thumbup:

or you could *gasp* run OSX on a pc without paying apple prices

Members don't see this ad.

Not practical. Doing so requires a hacked version of OS X (which is illegal), will be wholly unsupported by Apple, the manufacturer of the PC (and pretty much every other hardware or software vendor), and will likely be rendered useless by the first system update. You get what you pay for.

Hey guys,
I know most med schools use PCs. Although I've considered using my Mac Powerbook G4 with Boot camp to run Windows XP, I just didn't want to chance it and have problems with compatibility. So, I'm likely going to get a PC laptop.

For those of you who's made the change from a Mac to a PC, how hard was the transition? I never use PCs and am a bit scared!:scared::scared::scared:

It would be a BAD IDEA to get a PC.

Stick with the Mac. The only programs you'll use in medical school are MS Office, which makes a compatible set for Mac.

Members don't see this ad :)

You still pay the price of the inferior PC technology, which is much higher, after repairs, than a mac.

The basic MacBook is 1100 bucks not including sales tax, I thought it was about the same price as the Sony Vaio CR if you equip it with the similar items. Don't waste your money on a MacBook Pro the regular MacBook is good enough.

The basic MacBook is 1100 bucks not including sales tax, I thought it was about the same price as the Sony Vaio CR if you equip it with the similar items. Don't waste your money on a MacBook Pro the regular MacBook is good enough.

I agree. The MacBook is what I have and it's great.

I have never had any problems with it. My Dell Latitude, on the other hand, needed a new part replaced once a month.

Not practical. Doing so requires a hacked version of OS X (which is illegal), will be wholly unsupported by Apple, the manufacturer of the PC (and pretty much every other hardware or software vendor), and will likely be rendered useless by the first system update. You get what you pay for.

yeah
because you know, hackers have ADD and quit hacking after an update has been released

yeah
because you know, hackers have ADD and quit hacking after an update has been released

I doubt this forum is frequented by many hackers.

Besides, real hackers use Linux, as its constant demand for attention typically substitutes for a girlfriend.

I doubt this forum is frequented by many hackers.

Besides, real hackers use Linux, as its constant demand for attention typically substitutes for a girlfriend.

I'd love to be able to hack a girlfriend.:laugh:

what?
what exactly are you repairing?

My Dell probably had 5 new motherboards.....2 new batteries....2 new LCD's......a new power cord/charger......etc. etc.

Dell pretty much solves any problem with a new motherboard---its pathetic

Nice. So, what does that make you, Cosmo? An "angry little PC fanboy?" :rolleyes:

Fanboy? Hardly. I'm just a practical person who likes a good deal, and hates to be ripped off. I could care less about microsoft or apple, I just don't like to see people waste their money, so chill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Translation:
Fanboy? Hardly. I'm just a [sheep] who likes [to be reassured that I haven't done something stupid], and hates to [spend money]. I [couldn't] care less about microsoft or apple, I just don't like to see people [think differently than I do], so [STFU].

:smuggrin:

Well, I'm the OP and decided on a PC tablet. This decision was mainly for the tablet function rather than the fact that it's a PC. If Mac had a tablet, I think I would have gotten a Mac tablet.

Anyway, I'm concerned, as a first time PC user, of all the viruses and the frequency/type of maintenance I should do to ensure smooth sailing with my new PC. Any suggestions? I was told not to use McAfee or Norton since they REALLY slow down performance and they are used for more business environments....suggestions?

I bought How to use Vista, step by step book (written by Microsoft) and How to use Microsoft office home/student (so I can maximize the use of OneNote). I'm starting to wonder if this was a bonehead move since many people tend to figure things out as they own new OS.

I bought How to use Vista, step by step book (written by Microsoft) and How to use Microsoft office home/student (so I can maximize the use of OneNote). I'm starting to wonder if this was a bonehead move since many people tend to figure things out as they own new OS.

If you're using Windows, there's really only one book that you really need. ;)

bible.jpg

Well, I'm the OP and decided on a PC tablet. This decision was mainly for the tablet function rather than the fact that it's a PC. If Mac had a tablet, I think I would have gotten a Mac tablet.

Anyway, I'm concerned, as a first time PC user, of all the viruses and the frequency/type of maintenance I should do to ensure smooth sailing with my new PC. Any suggestions? I was told not to use McAfee or Norton since they REALLY slow down performance and they are used for more business environments....suggestions?

nod32 for AV software

I support Mac and PC for the NeuroSurgery Dept.

You can run parallel.....it is free.

go for the mac. i switched several years ago, (pre-bootcamp) and never had any problems. it's been said before, but the programs you need will be basically supported by office. the transition between office files on mac and pc is seemless. the only thing i've run into is going between the newest version of word and older versions (on both pc and mac). the newest word saves files as a default .docx file. make sure you change it to save either in .doc or .rtf