Transition from Retail to Hospital Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNSPHARM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
guys, i need sum advice....i work for retail mostly, only time exposed to hospital is on rotation..... after discuss with my mum...(yes, yes, hahah)....i think i should try out hospital...at least a try...

i guess in the past i am afraid of hospital are two part:1 acute care nature, like IV..wat if i made a mistake..2.deal with co-worker...u know it is diffrent from chain...
so if i can have any sugesstions?? i am gonna take a month off and then start to looking for a hospital work...so during this period..anything i can read or reveiw to prepare?? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please note that I'm trying to be as polite as possible when I ask but...are you really a pharmacist?

guys, i need sum advice....i work for retail mostly, only time exposed to hospital is on rotation..... after discuss with my mum...(yes, yes, hahah)....i think i should try out hospital...at least a try...

i guess in the past i am afraid of hospital are two part:1 acute care nature, like IV..wat if i made a mistake..2.deal with co-worker...u know it is diffrent from chain...
so if i can have any sugesstions?? i am gonna take a month off and then start to looking for a hospital work...so during this period..anything i can read or reveiw to prepare?? Thank you

Do you mind if I ask, what state are you in? From my research, unless you know someone, "almost" all hospital jobs require a residency if you don't already have experience working in a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, if u dun have any suggestions u dun need to reply at all... from the way u answer and approach question sth wrong with your character...i doubt you would be a good pharmacist or a person

Status Pharmacist

icon1.png

well, if u dun have any suggestions u dun need to reply at all... from the way u answer and approach question sth wrong with your character...i doubt you would be a good pharmacist or a person

New York State....residency is not required...but most hospital just need hospital experience...occasionally you will see the job post like" hospital experience not necessary.. retail wellcome"

New York State....residency is not required...but most hospital just need hospital experience...occasionally you will see the job post like" hospital experience not necessary.. retail wellcome"

Cool!! Good luck with your transition:)

Maybe in the middle of no where....

not really...i have plenty of classmates without a residency get a job in the hospital in NYC...

not really...i have plenty of classmates without a residency get a job in the hospital in NYC...

Keep your head up. You don't need a residency to be a hospital pharmacist. Showing you are willing to learn and have the ability to learn is the key. g'luck to you!

Its definitely possible especially since your a new graduate. The longer away - the more you forget. I will most likely look for a per diem hospital position or maybe longterm care (nursing home!) when I graduate.

I probably wouldn't take the month off from work though. Instead look for a job during your off-time. One thing though ~ have someone look over your CV first. You want to make it as perfect as possible - especially since your going to be competing with some very qualified individuals.

BenJammin's question is legitimate, because educated people rarely post on boards in textese. :shrug:

First of all, not all the pharmacists are from this country. Second, just because you can speak or write "Prettier" English than I do, does not mean you are a better pharmacist. Third, this is a professional broad. I am asking a legitimate question in my stage as a first year graduate. If you do not have any person suggestion move on! Stop personal attack..It is very low......Or you can, say you should speak better English...say it in a decent way......

Be arrogant like this I can picture how you treat your patient

BenJammin's question is legitimate, because educated people rarely post on boards in textese. :shrug:

First of all, not all the pharmacists are from this country. Second, just because you can speak or write "Prettier" English than I do, does not mean you are a better pharmacist. Third, this is a professional broad. I am asking a legitimate question in my stage as a first year graduate. If you do not have any person suggestion move on! Stop personal attack..It is very low......Or you can, say you should speak better English...say it in a decent way......

Be arrogant like this I can picture how you treat your patie

I do not understand. I am asking a legitimate question commonly discussed among my classmates. Why people bypass the professional aspect and go straight to personal attack....
There are so many things you can do to feel better about yourself...

Holy crap, you need to grow some thicker skin in a hurry.

If you get this defensive about what you perceive as 'personal attacks',
how are you going to handle doctors and nurses cutting in to you on
a daily basis in a hospital environment?

Maybe you are a great pharmacist, but the communication skills you've
shown in this thread are poor. Those skills are critically important in
any healthcare setting, so like it or not, you're going to be judged by
your peers on them.

Holy crap, you need to grow some thicker skin in a hurry.

If you get this defensive about what you perceive as 'personal attacks',
how are you going to handle doctors and nurses cutting in to you on
a daily basis in a hospital environment?

Maybe you are a great pharmacist, but the communication skills you've
shown in this thread are poor. Those skills are critically important in
any healthcare setting, so like it or not, you're going to be judged by
your peers on them.

Well, it is not I cannot take criticism, and it is not I am not aware of my issues...it makes me annoyed is that: it is MY Post regarding to a SPECIFIC issue i am facing...if you take time actually answer the post..either answer the question or criticize me in a constructive way......you can judge me in your mind anyway you want to..but if you actually post it, post something valuable, or post in level that you hold yourself up to....

Be arrogant like this I can picture how you treat your patie
She's quite the classy lady.:laugh: