transition from retail to hospital pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inpatientRPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few years of retail and long term care experience and I recently got a job offer for an inpatient hospital position. :)I will be starting in a month and I would like to get some advice from other pharmacists who did the same change in the past on how to make the transition a little bit easier or quicker. I've been trying to review some of the top commonly ordered hospital medications and to be honest, I am overly stressed out already:scared:. Any comments or advice I appreciate!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't stress out about it. I worked retail while in school, and had no hospital experience outside of my rotations. It definitely is a different set of medications, but when I came across one I wasn't terribly familiar with, I looked it up in Micromedex or another drug database. I also asked my colleagues if I had any questions. They're very happy to help. I've even called physicians to clarify why something was ordered, and most were happy to clarify.

With more time and exposure, you'll become more comfortable.

I have a few years of retail and long term care experience and I recently got a job offer for an inpatient hospital position. :)I will be starting in a month and I would like to get some advice from other pharmacists who did the same change in the past on how to make the transition a little bit easier or quicker. I've been trying to review some of the top commonly ordered hospital medications and to be honest, I am overly stressed out already:scared:. Any comments or advice I appreciate!!!!

I wouldn't stress too much especially if this hospital has a good training program. Might be good to review IV/po ABX, anticoag and laboratory values. Congrats on the new job, hopefully it is more interesting and enjoyable.