Transition into Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphabetsoup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment about transitioning from being a dentist in the military to being a private practice dentist? I have always wanted to be in the military, but I also want to be a dentist, so I think this would be the best of both worlds! I am a little worried about the transition because I talked to a private practice dentist who hired a fresh out of the military dentist and he said that the military dentist was not a confident/proficient dentist. So I am a little worried about the transition. I'm hoping it was just this guy's own skills and not the military.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment about transitioning from being a dentist in the military to being a private practice dentist? I have always wanted to be in the military, but I also want to be a dentist, so I think this would be the best of both worlds! I am a little worried about the transition because I talked to a private practice dentist who hired a fresh out of the military dentist and he said that the military dentist was not a confident/proficient dentist. So I am a little worried about the transition. I'm hoping it was just this guy's own skills and not the military.

That's anecdotal. IMO military dentists are much more capable fresh out of the service than their fresh out of school counter parts. There's too many confounder's dealing in this issue with just a sample size of 1.

Thats why I was hoping that other people would comment on the transition, cause that was just one guy. I want other opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be an easy transition provided you don't let yourself get stuck doing only one or 2 things (fillings). Most commanders I have known will allow you to moonlight locally several days a month. This is a great opportunity for several reasons, first you get to see kids, do posterior composites, and basically get a feel for if you like private practice or not. Second, it actually lets you make a few bucks. I can pretty much make as much in 5 days a month down town as I do in the military a month. I just use training holidays and leave and saturdays and suddenly money isn't so tight. Granted there is no personal time.
The military is what you make it, you can be a lazy piece of crap and then find the transition to private practice quite difficult, or you can use it as a transition to private practice and do all the things you want to do. Believe me it's not hard to talk a soldier into 6 anterior porcelain venners/crowns.

I would hire a military trained dentist over someone fresh out of school. If they have done a military AEGD or residency they are well trained. If nothing else they have some fun stories to tell.

It will be an easy transition provided you don't let yourself get stuck doing only one or 2 things (fillings). Most commanders I have known will allow you to moonlight locally several days a month. This is a great opportunity for several reasons, first you get to see kids, do posterior composites, and basically get a feel for if you like private practice or not. Second, it actually lets you make a few bucks. I can pretty much make as much in 5 days a month down town as I do in the military a month. I just use training holidays and leave and saturdays and suddenly money isn't so tight. Granted there is no personal time.
The military is what you make it, you can be a lazy piece of crap and then find the transition to private practice quite difficult, or you can use it as a transition to private practice and do all the things you want to do. Believe me it's not hard to talk a soldier into 6 anterior porcelain venners/crowns.

Unfortunately for me, I AM a lazy piece of crap. :scared:

Unfortunately for me, I AM a lazy piece of crap. :scared:

And you are from Utah where there is a dentist on every corner. Don't they have them in walmarts there too? You'd probably make more in the military.
There are plenty of lazy pieces of crap in the military. Where else can you do one filling an hour and still get paid? I guess you could be a contractor. It's all what you make of it.

And you are from Utah where there is a dentist on every corner. Don't they have them in walmarts there too? You'd probably make more in the military.
There are plenty of lazy pieces of crap in the military. Where else can you do one filling an hour and still get paid? I guess you could be a contractor. It's all what you make of it.

THis above post is proof positive Hawkee DDS is military. As is the case probably anywhere you are in a large, bureaucratic organization you will find a huge spectrum of talent and ambition. Military dentistry is no different. As Hawkey said, the military experience is what you make of it.

FYI, from the National Center for Health Workforce Analysis:
(http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/reports/statesummaries/utah.htm)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Dentistry, Pharmacy and Mental Health [/SIZE].
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]There were 1,521 dentists, 1,210 dental hygienists, and 2,710 dental assistants practicing in Utah in 2000. There were 67.8 dentists per 100,000 population in Utah in 2000, slightly higher than the national rate of 63.6. Utah ranked 15th in the nation in dentists per capita. The per capita ratio of dental hygienists was also slightly above the national rate. Utah ranked 3rd in the nation in dental
    assistants per capita.[/SIZE].
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] The number of dentists in Utah grew 39% between 1991 and 2000 while the state’s population grew 27%. The result was a 10% increase in dentists per capita, compared to a 16% increase nationwide.[/SIZE].
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] There were 1,460 pharmacists and 1,650 pharmacy technicians and aides practicing in Utah in 2000. Utah had 65.1 pharmacists and 73.5 pharmacy technicians and aides per 100,000 population in 2000, which ranked them 44th and 39th, respectively, among the 50 states.[/SIZE].
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] There were 147 psychiatrists, 1,080 psychologists, and 2,400 social workers in Utah in 2000. This was equal to 7 psychiatrists, 48.1 psychologists, and 107 social workers per 100,000 population. Utah ranked 41st among states in psychiatrists per capita, 9th among states in psychologists per capita, and 44th among states in social workers per capita. [/SIZE].

THis above post is proof positive Hawkee DDS is military. As is the case probably anywhere you are in a large, bureaucratic organization you will find a huge spectrum of talent and ambition. Military dentistry is no different. As Hawkey said, the military experience is what you make of it.

This is great. Dude read any of my other posts and you know exactly where I stand on military dentistry. It's got some positives, but I can't wait to get out. I don't advocate being a "lazy piece of crap" in fact that's one of the main reasons for me to get out.

In fact I just found out that our Brigade isn't deploying as soon as I'd hoped, as a result I will get stoplossed for about 9 months. Go ARMY! (that's assuming they keep the deployments at 12 months)

FYI, from the National Center for Health Workforce Analysis:
(http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/reports/statesummaries/utah.htm)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Dentistry, Pharmacy and Mental Health [/SIZE].
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]There were 1,521 dentists, 1,210 dental hygienists, and 2,710 dental assistants practicing in Utah in 2000. There were 67.8 dentists per 100,000 population in Utah in 2000, slightly higher than the national rate of 63.6. Utah ranked 15th in the nation in dentists per capita. The per capita ratio of dental hygienists was also slightly above the national rate. Utah ranked 3rd in the nation in dental [/SIZE].
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]assistants per capita..[/SIZE]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The number of dentists in Utah grew 39% between 1991 and 2000 while the state’s population grew 27%. The result was a 10% increase in dentists per capita, compared to a 16% increase nationwide.[/SIZE].
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]There were 1,460 pharmacists and 1,650 pharmacy technicians and aides practicing in Utah in 2000. Utah had 65.1 pharmacists and 73.5 pharmacy technicians and aides per 100,000 population in 2000, which ranked them 44th and 39th, respectively, among the 50 states.[/SIZE].
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]There were 147 psychiatrists, 1,080 psychologists, and 2,400 social workers in Utah in 2000. This was equal to 7 psychiatrists, 48.1 psychologists, and 107 social workers per 100,000 population. Utah ranked 41st among states in psychiatrists per capita, 9th among states in psychologists per capita, and 44th among states in social workers per capita. [/SIZE].
Touchy touchy, you were the one saying you were the "lazy piece of crap". I just thought if that were true, then maybe Utah wasn't a good place for you to practice and that maybe the military would be a good thing. The last time I drove through there I saw 3-4 billboards offering free tooth whitening with exam. It just seems that if you have to give $300-$400 dollars of free service away that maybe the market isn't as rosey as otherplaces...that's all.

In fact I just found out that our Brigade isn't deploying as soon as I'd hoped, as a result I will get stoplossed for about 9 months. Go ARMY! (that's assuming they keep the deployments at 12 months)

Something is going to give pretty soon. The Army is hurting and the Navy isn't too far behind. At least in the Army you seem to have a much better promotion system where it doesn't really restrict you as much as the Navy. Last cycle, only 30% of the in zone O5's got picked up for the eagle. It is truly demoralizing and I do not see much of a future as a career.

Something is going to give pretty soon. The Army is hurting and the Navy isn't too far behind. At least in the Army you seem to have a much better promotion system where it doesn't really restrict you as much as the Navy. Last cycle, only 30% of the in zone O5's got picked up for the eagle. It is truly demoralizing and I do not see much of a future as a career.

Our regional O6 stated that of the 300+ O6's, approximately 180 will retire next year. Looks like if you really want to pin on a Bird, the army would be an easy place to do it. Crap is going to hit the fan real quick. I guess that is what happens when you treat people like crap for so many years. Most of those Retiring could stay in, but the ones I've talked to are so tired of being micromanaged that it's just not worth it any more.

The Navy seems to be a little different. Part of the problem is the number of retired-retained O6's which occupy a duty station, count as an O6 but are not on active duty. They are actually counted as a government employee but as far as the community goes they show up as an O6. Since the Navy is strict about their pyramid promotion structure not only do you have a bunch of O6s sticking around for 30 years but you also have them staying on even longer as retired-retained. So what we have in the Navy is 19 out of 100 people left from the 2001 year group actually staying in to pin on O4. 19! On the other end, there were only 19 promotions to O6 this past year total, and that includes above and below zone. Only 10 got picked up from in zone (about 30 were in zone) and 9 out of 90 from above zone. Looking at these numbers, why would anyone stay in when they can make just as much money at the VA and not have to move every three years or deploy on a ship for 9 months, or heaven forbid go to Baghdad for 12 months? Heck, I would take a faculty position in a specialty program at a dental school before I would subject my wife and kids to that kind of life with somewhat limited opportunity.
Bumed says we are getting higher ASP and possibly even ISP like the physicians. I will believe it when I see it, though.

This is great. Dude read any of my other posts and you know exactly where I stand on military dentistry. It's got some positives, but I can't wait to get out. I don't advocate being a "lazy piece of crap" in fact that's one of the main reasons for me to get out.

Does the Navy participate in stop loss? I am getting sick and tired of that word.

i have not met any Navy dentists that dealt with any stop loss issues. apparently, we have enough dental docs to man the ships, Marines, and other forward operation responsibilities. if that leaves us short at the shore clinics, we seem to hire contract docs or retain retirees as GS, etc. sort of dumbs down the shore clinic military experience...