Transitional period in med. school?

malfee

Sports Medicine Wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering lately about how quickly a new med. student is thrust into the thick of things. I understand that the first two years of schooling are done in the classroom, and then the last two years are clinical rotations, but is the student suddenly expected to perform and experience all sorts of craziness, or is there sufficient preparation done prior to this? I mean, when does one develop the stomach and emotional strength to handle being around sick and injured people, especially in emergency or life/death situations?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wondering lately about how quickly a new med. student is thrust into the thick of things.
Immediately. You'll have the same workload on day 1 as you do on any other day.

I mean, when does one develop the stomach and emotional strength to handle being around sick and injured people, especially in emergency or life/death situations?
Presumably during your clinical experience in college.

Yeah once you hit college you'll want some clinical experience such as volunteering/physician shadowing. If you spend any time in the ER you will undoubtedly see some cool stuff. If you pass out at the sight of blood, maybe thats a sign this isn't a career for you.

After 4+ years of undergrad work, and 2 intense study years in med school stuck in class you reach a point where you can't wait to see sick people and apply the knowledge you have been cramming for so long.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wondering lately about how quickly a new med. student is thrust into the thick of things. I understand that the first two years of schooling are done in the classroom, and then the last two years are clinical rotations, but is the student suddenly expected to perform and experience all sorts of craziness, or is there sufficient preparation done prior to this? I mean, when does one develop the stomach and emotional strength to handle being around sick and injured people, especially in emergency or life/death situations?

As far as having the stomach for it, i think thats just something you have or you dont. If you get faint at the sight of blood or other bodily fluids, I dont think being around longer is going to help that situation out.

As far as the emotinal strength, thats probably something that builds over time, starting with your undergrad experiences and if not then then definitely during med school and after.

Immediately. You'll have the same workload on day 1 as you do on any other day.

thats not necessarily true. Some schools start off slowly to "ease" the students into the medical school work load. By starting off slowly I mean starting off with only one or two classes and saving the tougher ones like anatomy for later in the first semester after the students have had time to adjust. I dont konw how common it is, but I can think of a few off the top of my head.

Which ones? Every school I'm aware of just slaps you upside the head with class after warning you not to fall behind. Maybe you're mistaking taking one or two subjects with one or two lectures. We had cell bio and biochem only for the first 8 weeks, but the workload and difficulty were still immense. Gross is just different since it's all memorization - not necessarily harder.

I think I unintentionally came off as being squeamish. >< I kind of forgot that there's potential to be involved in some pretty "nasty" cases while shadowing during undergrad. Thanks for the replies.

Which ones? Every school I'm aware of just slaps you upside the head with class after warning you not to fall behind. Maybe you're mistaking taking one or two subjects with one or two lectures. We had cell bio and biochem only for the first 8 weeks, but the workload and difficulty were still immense. Gross is just different since it's all memorization - not necessarily harder.

Loyola Stritch and UC Irvine are the two that I am thinking of. I'm sure there are others. But either way I think its more common to just "slap you upside the head."

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the subjects vs lecture, but I dont doubt that your cell bio and biochem only workloads were immense. Maybe it was just a ploy to entice students, but for example at UCI, we were told that when you start off its only one course. I'm not sure how many lectures that corresponds to, but I konw most of the days first year are from 8-12 and then free for the rest of the day. I'm sure its still insanely difficult, but it seems more appealing than starting with 24 units of a whole bunch of crap at once. I only brought up anatomy b/c it was commonly cited as the hardest course during first year (just what ive been told).

I mean that your workload isn't dictated by how many classes you're taking. You might just take 1 class at a time, but if you have 6 lectures a day, you'll be dying. I don't know anything about Loyola or UCI, so I can't say whether or not that's what happens.

I mean that your workload isn't dictated by how many classes you're taking. You might just take 1 class at a time, but if you have 6 lectures a day, you'll be dying. I don't know anything about Loyola or UCI, so I can't say whether or not that's what happens.

Right, I understand that, and I get your point. Its not like i'm expecting to coast through the first few months just cuz theres only one or two courses. I found Loyola's curriculum/schedule online. It looks like two courses with multiple lectures, so still a considerable amount of work I'm sure. Didnt find UCIs.

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/template...nday=217&i=1&academic_level=1&dateis=8/4/2008

I'm not sure how many lectures that corresponds to, but I konw most of the days first year are from 8-12 and then free for the rest of the day.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were leaving out lab sessions, small groups, clinical correlations, blah blah blah. Your days have a depressing way of filling up rapidly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were leaving out lab sessions, small groups, clinical correlations, blah blah blah. Your days have a depressing way of filling up rapidly.

No, they specifically siad they were free to leave at noon. That was one of their major positives (the amount of free time). They also contrasted this with 2nd year in which they said many days were more traditional with stuff scheduled from 8-5.

And yes, I'm sure when they start anatomy, there is lab time in there somwhere.