Other Transitional/Prelim Year For Undecided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New Memnber

Reaction score
Posted in MD forum but didn't get a response. Made a new profile to remain anonymous. Thinking about switching specialties but understand its getting late therefore thinking about prelim or transitional years.

How exactly do these work? Should I start applying to them now? Are they for students who aren't sure what they wanted to do after 4 years? Do you do them for a year then apply to a residency you like after having a year to think it over?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I would recommend applying to prelim internal medicine (or surgery if you like the more procedural aspect of things) rather than a transitional year. That way, if you like your prelim year in IM (or surg), you can work with your program director to *try* to stay on in that track (complete the 2 years left in IM / 4+ years in surg). If you want to do something outside of IM or surg, you'd apply again for those positions, but at least you're in a residency during and not out of it.

TY's are very competitive and are essentially a dead-end after the year is up, so I think prelim positions are the smarter route.