Transitional Year for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayQuah

Connect Four Champion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you still able to become licensed and practice as a "generalist" after you do a transitional year (before advanced residency) and pass Step 3?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you still able to become licensed and practice as a "generalist" after you do a transitional year (before advanced residency) and pass Step 3?

Technically yes, upon completing an intern year and passing all 3 steps of the USMLE many states (not all) will grant you an unrestricted or 'permanent' medical license. However outside of the military it is very uncommon to stop there and fly solo. I know it's difficult to obtain employment as well as hospital privileges without being BC/BE in a specialty field, probably other roadblocks as well.

Not sure, but maybe OP was asking for moonlighting purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure, but maybe OP was asking for moonlighting purposes.

Yes, moonlighting and for overseas opportunities. My main question was regarding transitional vs. prelim medicine. Is there anything that the transitional year will not give you that the prelim year will after 1 year?

Yes, moonlighting and for overseas opportunities. My main question was regarding transitional vs. prelim medicine. Is there anything that the transitional year will not give you that the prelim year will after 1 year?

Well, if you did a prelim year in IM or surgery, and then matched into IM or surgery, you wouldn't necessarily have to repeat the year, but would have to still do an intern year if your first year was transitional.
The key difference though is that transitional years are often the hardest things to get in the match, because they are regarded as cushy, so every ROAD specialty applicant wants them.