Transitional Year hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_strange2001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 80 hrs too much to work for a transitional year??? I just interviewed at a TY program where the interns work 80 (sometimes more) hours a week, thier pay is the lowest ive seen 32,000 with no benefits, interns seem to be scut monkies, they write ALL notes, little teaching. Does this seem about right for most places are is this somewhere to be avioded?

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes, I did my transitional year just last year and the only time I hit the 80 hours a week was during my one month of surgery and one month of renal medicine. I had two other months of floor medicine but it was more like 65-70 hours a week and then the other 8 months of my transitional year were more around 50 hours a week with the electives...and on one of the particularly easier months, it was more like 30 hours a week. So no this is not at all typical. Here's what I had: 4 call months (q 4 call), 6 elective months (no call at all during these months and weekends off), 1 month of family practice outpatient and one month of ER which included a lot of Friday nights and Saturday nights as I was the low man on the schedule.

I would try and find a better place.

Originally posted by doc_strange2001
thier pay is the lowest ive seen 32,000 with no benefits,

I would not even consider a program with no benefits. It will cost you a fortune to get your own health insurance -- especially if you have a family. Also, they should pay for your disability insurance as well.

Ed