Transitional Year in Portland ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyTime

Midwestern Univ, Phoenix.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of good ones in the area? I am thinking of OHSU for my residency. Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

I did a transitional year internship at the Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan program 4 years ago. Obviously a lot can change in 4 years, but as far as I can tell the same people are in charge and that is a good thing! I was extremely happy there.

They have an excellent program that is, I think, ideally suited for those going into anesthesiology. When I trained it was 3 months of surgery, 4 months of medicine (that includes ICU), the usual transitional requirements and 3 electives. My hours were, for the most part, great, and I learned a ton in a relatively relaxed setting.

Portland is a great city too (if you like beer, wine, and coffee it may be the best), and relatively inexpensive compared to most west coast cities.

I know next to nothing about transitional programs in the Rose City but with, let me see, five or more major hospitals in the city (all excellent--I trained in all but Adventist), you should have a good chance of finding something worthwhile. I would look into Providence Portland Medical Center or St Vincent's Medical Center.
Portland is beautiful which is why I've never truly desired to live anywhere else. We Oregonians are spoiled.

Members don't see this ad :)
SleepyTime said:
...I am thinking of OHSU for my residency. Thanks !

...You and around 90% of persons trying to match in anesthesia... ;)

i also went to the legacy emanuel transitional year (2003-2004). things are a little different there now, but i highly recommend it.....

as far as i know, my year was the last that did trauma surgery. now, you do two months of general surgery with one at emanuel (burns + general) and one at good sam (general). the surgical attendings were outstanding teachers and quite easy to work with. you also do two months of ICU with one of the best attendings i've ever worked with. he was recruited from university of hawaii where he won every teaching award under the sun and now he's racking them up in oregon as well.

overall, i think this TY is particularly well suited to anesthesia-bound residents given the emphasis on ICU and ICU/surgery. the medicine months are also quite good and the electives are outstanding (particularly cardiology).

i felt extremely well-prepared heading into my anesthesia program and portland is one of the sweetest cities in the west.

good luck to everyone applying this year. :)