Transitional Year Q- Is Step 2 required to get an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

reviving_rose

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Are step 2 scores really needed to receive transitional year interview invites? I was considering taking my exams in September but was not sure regarding what I read on FREIDA. I am trying to construct my 4th year schedule and want to make the best decisions possible moving forward.
Anyone with experience or knowledge regarding applying to TY/prelim your help is highly appreciate

For reference, my stats currently during M3:
Step 1: 260
3/3 honors so far during my clerkship
 
No. I got many TY invites without having a Step 2 CK score. And at the interview day, only one of them asked me about when I would have a score. I think it is more important that you have a passing score in by the time rank lists are due (february).

and for your case, your step 1 is so strong that step 2 carries much less importance anyway
 
I think at some programs it's an "unspoken" requirement (I recently went through the interview process and have talked with some people who also went through it).