transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when people say apply early for a transitional year, do they mean sept 1 or do they mean anytime before the dean's letters comes out on nov. 1st? do programs start looking at your apps even before the dean's letter comes out? is it a significant disadvantage if you were to submit in oct?

Members don't see this ad.

when people say apply early for a transitional year, do they mean sept 1 or do they mean anytime before the dean's letters comes out on nov. 1st? do programs start looking at your apps even before the dean's letter comes out? is it a significant disadvantage if you were to submit in oct?

I doubt that applying in October wouldn't be a big deal, but most people don't have a good reason not to be ready to apply on the very first day. It's better to get all your ducks in a row early on, but certainly there are good excuses for applying a little late; however, earlier=better.

I waited until October 1 to apply, because I was waiting for a publication for my derm app. When I received interview invites, most of the early dates had already filled, and I was only left with options in Dec/Jan (heavy derm interview months). I ended up getting some earlier by electing for "wait list" positions and re-contacting the coordinators. If I could do it over again, I would have submitted ERAS sooner.

That being said, everything worked out fine - but scheduling was stressful with conflicts with Derm interviews, and I had internship interviews continue until the first week of Feb.

Last edited: