mkdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
when people say apply early for a transitional year, do they mean sept 1 or do they mean anytime before the dean's letters comes out on nov. 1st? do programs start looking at your apps even before the dean's letter comes out? is it a significant disadvantage if you were to submit in oct?

Dermguy

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Status
  1. Medical Student
when people say apply early for a transitional year, do they mean sept 1 or do they mean anytime before the dean's letters comes out on nov. 1st? do programs start looking at your apps even before the dean's letter comes out? is it a significant disadvantage if you were to submit in oct?

I doubt that applying in October wouldn't be a big deal, but most people don't have a good reason not to be ready to apply on the very first day. It's better to get all your ducks in a row early on, but certainly there are good excuses for applying a little late; however, earlier=better.

Cheebs09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I waited until October 1 to apply, because I was waiting for a publication for my derm app. When I received interview invites, most of the early dates had already filled, and I was only left with options in Dec/Jan (heavy derm interview months). I ended up getting some earlier by electing for "wait list" positions and re-contacting the coordinators. If I could do it over again, I would have submitted ERAS sooner.

That being said, everything worked out fine - but scheduling was stressful with conflicts with Derm interviews, and I had internship interviews continue until the first week of Feb.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads