Transitioning a retail pharmacy to LTC

Started by PharmKraz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmKraz

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I work in a small family retail pharmacy and we recently started talking to an assisted living facility that wants to switch to us. I'm starting pharmacy school in august, but before I go I'm trying to land this deal so that when I finish school I'll have a secure job here. Unfortunately, none of our pharmacists or employees have experience with LTC facilities, and I'm finding it very hard to find resources on how LTC pharmacy works. I have a vague understanding of the differences between retail and LTC and have no idea where to start to get us ready for the change. I tried to set up meeting with other pharmacies that do LTC but they seem to be unwilling to help "the competition".

Does anyone know where I can find resources about the types of reports we will have to generate, the laws concerting ltc in michigan, the equipment we will need, etc.? I'm getting bits and pieces of information by calling around, but I want to make sure we're 100% ready before taking on 80+ LTC patients.

Thanks again for your time!
 
You might try asking Doctor M, he is a local hero who I believe does LTC.

I appreciate the local hero part, but we couldnt have done what we did without the rest of the staff!

Anyway, the OP needs to check with their State Board about getting a closed door license. All states may be different. Next, they should look at GPO's (group purchasing organization) such as MHA. Google MHA GPO. Start there. This is assuming they want to transition their retail to LTC. If this is the only ALF they are gonna do, I probably wouldnt bother doing the transition yet. Just fill the ALF rxs in the retail pharmacy. Just call your software vendor and purchase the nursing home function.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do believe you have to find a delivery company to deliver medications to the ALF, that's the different. LTC pharmay needs to bring the meds to patients' homes. Sometimes patients' family can pick them up, but that's rare.

Also, if anybody knows where I can get more training (not searching from internet) to open retail, LTC, or any kind of pharmacy? I want to learn from experienced lecturer.
 
Last edited:
I appreciate the local hero part, but we couldnt have done what we did without the rest of the staff!

Anyway, the OP needs to check with their State Board about getting a closed door license. All states may be different. Next, they should look at GPO's (group purchasing organization) such as MHA. Google MHA GPO. Start there. This is assuming they want to transition their retail to LTC. If this is the only ALF they are gonna do, I probably wouldnt bother doing the transition yet. Just fill the ALF rxs in the retail pharmacy. Just call your software vendor and purchase the nursing home function.

Dr. M -- you ever hear a final result from that audit you got hosed on? Probably makes the LTC part that much better...