Transitioning to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOx777

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright ladies and gents,

I will try to make this as little "Dear Diary" as possible. I wanted to know if there are any active SDN members who have made the transition from physical therapy to medicine, and would be willing to share their story. More importantly, those who have made the transition from a DPT program to an MD program would be especially helpful.

History:
I have had a career in health/fitness and Strength/Conditioning up until this point. I have a B.S. and M.S. and am now working toward my DPT. My M.S. degree which is in Exercise Science/Human Physiology really awakened my passion for biomedical science. The program I trained at was unlike many ExSci programs, and we spent a great deal of time(~70% or so) talking about things at a cellular/molecular level. Needless to say, I GOT HOOKED!

Fast forward a little bit, and as I was applying to DPT programs it was brought to my attention that I may be more suited for medicine than physical therapy. This was stated by by several science classmates, chemistry professor, and a therapist I was shadowing. I thought nothing of it, because I do not subscribe to the mindset that "a certain person is suited for a certain profession". Here I am 12-18 months later, and it is clear to me that the clinical practice of orthopedic physical therapy is probably not suited for me as a long term career. GO FIGURE! What makes it more challenging is that I study at an institution that is INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED for its medical care, and I know my MD comrades are studying/preparing for a career that is probably more suited for me.

I am in the process of finalizing a decision over the summer(after some counsel and hopefully insightful input from SDNers) to pursue medicine after my DPT training is complete. Any input(major or minor) would be great!

Much Appreciated

PS: I know we have many detectives here, and one need not search far to find out where I study if their heart so desires. I am also an assistant moderator in the PT forums.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright ladies and gents,

I will try to make this as little "Dear Diary" as possible. I wanted to know if there are any active SDN members who have made the transition from physical therapy to medicine, and would be willing to share their story. More importantly, those who have made the transition from a DPT program to an MD program would be especially helpful.

History:
I have had a career in health/fitness and Strength/Conditioning up until this point. I have a B.S. and M.S. and am now working toward my DPT. My M.S. degree which is in Exercise Science/Human Physiology really awakened my passion for biomedical science. The program I trained at was unlike many ExSci programs, and we spent a great deal of time(~70% or so) talking about things at a cellular/molecular level. Needless to say, I GOT HOOKED!

Fast forward a little bit, and as I was applying to DPT programs it was brought to my attention that I may be more suited for medicine than physical therapy. This was stated by by several science classmates, chemistry professor, and a therapist I was shadowing. I thought nothing of it, because I do not subscribe to the mindset that "a certain person is suited for a certain profession". Here I am 12-18 months later, and it is clear to me that the clinical practice of orthopedic physical therapy is probably not suited for me as a long term career. GO FIGURE! What makes it more challenging is that I study at an institution that is INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED for its medical care, and I know my MD comrades are studying/preparing for a career that is probably more suited for me.

I am in the process of finalizing a decision over the summer(after some counsel and hopefully insightful input from SDNers) to pursue medicine after my DPT training is complete. Any input(major or minor) would be great!

Much Appreciated

PS: I know we have many detectives here, and one need not search far to find out where I study if their heart so desires. I am also an assistant moderator in the PT forums.

I cannot comment on the specific transition. But it is my opinion that you would make an EXCELLENT addition to any medical class. You have a background that we sorely lack--MSK and exercise physiology. We have no problem rubber stamping the go ahead for massive inefficacious MSK surgical procedures without an inkling of the body's ability to morph and heal under the right conditions and stimuli. It comprises a giant hole in our vision and training.

Given this you might have to lay out a case for yourself as if speaking to the uninformed. To explain exactly how your training would benefit your medical patients and how you could contribute to the perspective around you.

I say go for it. I know just enough about PT to understand and to guess at why that would be restrictive in practice, especially if you have tendencies toward clinical decision making.

Additionally, you might want to broaden your target to our resident adcom's who might have seen an application like yours go through committee. In the decade or so of reading here the number of times the pt to medicine topic has come up has been quite small. Unlike the nursing to med transition which comes up in seemingly unaware regularity like summer afternoon rain showers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, you might want to broaden your target to our resident adcom's who might have seen an application like yours go through committee.

Abider,
Thank you for the input. I am naive as to how one would go about contacting the ADCOMs on or through SDN. Could you point me in the right direction?

Abider,
Thank you for the input. I am naive as to how one would go about contacting the ADCOMs on or through SDN. Could you point me in the right direction?

Unfortunately I don't know. I've been out of the game too long. But keep fishing here and premed boards for qualified opinions. You've got time on your side given your commitment to finishing the DPT.

You could get yourself and MSAR book to make sure your course work will meet the reuirements. And contact your most local medical school for advising opportunities. Deans of admission or their representatives often do public outreach to premeds. Consider such engagements as PR and try to get hard answers along the lines of "what can I do to make myself competitive for your school?"

Sorry wish I could help. But I really am just interested in having more of your perspective included in medical culture. I don't have the requisite experience to give advice, keep hunting for those that can.