***** Transplant Surgery Fellowship Match 2020 *****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Yes. The time of the year we were all waiting for is finally here: Transplant surgery fellowship match season!

Anyone has any new input? Any word on OR autonomy/volume/malignancy/big changes or things to look out for on any specific program? The old threads are like 5 years old (and do not have that much info in them).

I mean c'mon there has to be SOME transplanters out there!... right? :unsure:

Feel free to post interview dates and impressions of programs as the season progress.
Good luck to all, you absolute studs (and may god have mercy on your soul if you actually match) :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all, you absolute studs (and may god have mercy on your soul if you actually match) :cool:
I mean the transplant match goes unfilled every year so If you apply the chances seem very high that you will match No?

Can we talk about the programs reputations, how much the transplant fellows do HPB, and what organs they are actually doing? PLEASE :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding some dates. Good luck everyone.

Interview Dates:

Ohio State -
4/06, 4/09, 4/13, 4/16
U Virginia Charlottesville - 2/27, 3/11, 3/17
UT Southwestern - 3/25, 4/15
Henry Ford - 5/26 (There are two other dates, but I don't have them at hand)
U Cincinnati - 4/10, 5/08
Cleveland Clinic - 4/21, 4/24, 4/28
U Miami - "Every Friday in March and April"
Mayo Phoenix - 3/21, 4/14, 4/30, 5/19, 5/21 (This one has "two blocks" per day available... I found it weird)
U Indiana - 4/13, 5/18, 6/08
U Washington Seattle - 3/16, 3/27, 4/03
U Minnesota - 4/17, 4/24, 5/01, 5/15
USC: 4/10, 5/15
Michigan: 3/9, 4/20
UCLA: Most Mondays/Thursdays
MGH: 3/18, 4/1, 4/8
Georgetown: 4/6, 4/20, 4/27
Duke: 3/26, 4/9
Stanford: 4/20, 4/22, 5/4
Penn: 4/22, 5/13
Northwestern: 3/13, 3/19, 4/1, 4/24, 5/1

View attachment 297163

Well, this is last year's match stats. Certainly more doable than other fellowships, but not a 100% thing. Especially for the more academic spots, and even more for IMGs.

The amount of US grads applying each year used to vary a bit, but now that it goes through the SF match we won't get the breakdown on type of applicants anymore.
It was always about 20-25 us grads with a 95-100% match rate for us grads. Nothing has changed.

You are interviewing the programs more than they are interviewing you.

I have my opinions on programs, and they basically haven't changed in the 3-4 years since I went thru the match.

I also quit transplant 6 months in, so you can take all that with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
hello all,
I am new to the forum. I want to know the interview dates for this years abdominal transplant fellowship. Are programs still offering interview? Anyone here applying for transplant fellowships? I would highly appreciate your reply. Thank you.

hello all,
I am new to the forum. I want to know the interview dates for this years abdominal transplant fellowship. Are programs still offering interview? Anyone here applying for transplant fellowships? I would highly appreciate your reply. Thank you.
Obviously you didn't get much traction with this. Any post match insights?