Trasnfer From SGU to USA Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winddrift87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am a U.S. citizen and recently began school at SGU Medical, I have been searching for a forum about transferring back to the states but could not find one which answered my specific questions and was hoping someone could help. I am looking to transfer back state side from SGU and was wondering whats the earliest you can transfer to american medical schools? I am only in my first year but was wondering if i would be able to transfer after completing this first year? I have heard its very difficult but not impossible. Also would anyone happen to have or know of a list of american medical schools that accept transfer students from SGU? Any help or information on this topic would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You and every other Carib student. To put it frankly, are SOL.

Reactions: 18 users
What has so significantly improved in your application since the time you applied to US schools that you think they will now allow you entry where you were previously denied?

By the way, it's hard enough transferring from one US school to another. To do so from the Caribbean is a near impossible task.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had an attending who did it. Sounded like he absolutely smoked step 1 then transferred to a pretty good US medical school for years 3+4. This was 20 years ago prob. After writing it this comment is probably by very helpful but I know it is possible just very unlikely. I think a killer step 1 is very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, why did you go to the Caribbean if you are already itching to transfer back to the states? Before signing up for a life of uncertainty, did you realize how difficult it was to transfer back? For the life of me, I cannot understand why people venture down unwanted paths with the hope that an unexpected or once-in-a-lifetime shortcut will appear.

Life would have been much easier if you gritted your teeth and improved your application prior to making, what some would call, an idiotic decision.

I liken your situation to the college basketball player who goes undrafted and ventures 0verseas to play in a Euro league in the hopes of being reconsidered by the NBA. Can it happen? Anything can happen (look at our presidential election). Is it likely? No.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello Everyone.

I am a U.S. citizen and recently began school at SGU Medical, I have been searching for a forum about transferring back to the states but could not find one which answered my specific questions and was hoping someone could help. I am looking to transfer back state side from SGU and was wondering whats the earliest you can transfer to american medical schools? I am only in my first year but was wondering if i would be able to transfer after completing this first year? I have heard its very difficult but not impossible. Also would anyone happen to have or know of a list of american medical schools that accept transfer students from SGU? Any help or information on this topic would be greatly appreciated thank you.

If you wish to attend an American medical school, you're only realistic hope is to withdraw from SGU stat and spend at least two years performing applicant penance.

Transfer is theoretically possible, but would require you having a spouse that is attending an American medical school. The two of you would make the case that allowing you to come stateside would be humane for your marriage. Having some children mixed up in this would be extremely helpful. Even then it would depend on you performing strongly at SGU, there being an opening at this new medical school, and the school having a sympathetic student affairs dean. Perhaps you could try Craigslist.

Reactions: 7 users
LOL. Do you really think it's that easy? If it was, it would be the norm for Caribbean students. The fact of the matter is, US schools deny overqualified applicants due to enrollment restrictions, so why would they accept a transfer, let alone a Caribbean student. At this point, stick to the Caribbean, and be a part of the 50% that matches. And I mean that sincerely.

Reactions: 8 users
If you wish to attend an American medical school, you're only realistic hope is to withdraw from SGU stat and spend at least two years performing applicant penance.

Transfer is theoretically possible, but would require you having a spouse that is attending an American medical school. The two of you would make the case that allowing you to come stateside would be humane for your marriage. Having some children mixed up in this would be extremely helpful. Even then it would depend on you performing strongly at SGU, there being an opening at this new medical school, and the school having a sympathetic student affairs dean. Perhaps you could try Craigslist.

Craigslist may not be advisable if the student is from BU.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the responses, I noticed that Drexel university accepts transfer students so i may give them a shot. As I said I know its difficult but not impossible.

Hello Everyone.

I'm an SGU graduate and I know three people from my class who transferred at various stages of their training, but mostly before taking Step 1. Two went to Drexel and one went to NEOMED (DO program in Ohio) and had to repeat her second year (I believe). Good luck!

I'm an SGU graduate and I know three people from my class who transferred at various stages of their training, but mostly before taking Step 1. Two went to Drexel and one went to NEOMED (DO program in Ohio) and had to repeat her second year (I believe). Good luck!

NEOMED is an MD program.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for a helpful answer. Exactly what I was looking for. Any chance you would also know an alternative to the health insurance plan here which is complient with the affordable health care act? Thanks so much again.

I can't sugar coat this. Even if you withdrew and then applied to my school, you'd be DOA.

You made your bed, now lie in it. You do have my sympathies.

Hello Everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
It was always difficult. In recent times, it has been nearing on impossible. By the time you've taken step 1 after another 2 years, there will likely be no one taking carib transfer students anymore. The ones who transfer typically had solid undergrad apps to support their transfer application, so if this is the case for you, I'd recommend dropping out of SGU and attempting to get in to a US school. If not, enjoy your time at SGU and bust your ass so you can secure a residency position from their program, likely in primary care. You can decline SGU health insurance if you're under 26 and still covered by your parents. Otherwise, most insurance is pretty expensive and it may not even be worth the hassle of shopping around to find an option that will cover you for injuries/illness abroad.

OP, why did you go to the Caribbean if you are already itching to transfer back to the states? Before signing up for a life of uncertainty, did you realize how difficult it was to transfer back? For the life of me, I cannot understand why people venture down unwanted paths with the hope that an unexpected or once-in-a-lifetime shortcut will appear.

Life would have been much easier if you gritted your teeth and improved your application prior to making, what some would call, an idiotic decision.

I liken your situation to the college basketball player who goes undrafted and ventures 0verseas to play in a Euro league in the hopes of being reconsidered by the NBA. Can it happen? Anything can happen (look at our presidential election). Is it likely? No.
FWIW, SGU is accepting student with MCAT score as low as 19 now...

Reactions: 3 users
It will never happened and the people saying it has happened are probably lying.

Your chances are as close to 0 as possible without actually being 0.

Disregarding the fact that there are 100 more qualified applicants who don't have the red flag of attending a Carribean school for each open seat do you have any idea how difficult it is to accommodate a student who has been through a different curriculum? You have no chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everyone.

Stay with SGU there placement record is near 85%. You will need to score well on your boards. I just pre-matched into Radiology, So it can be done....

Stay with SGU there placement record is near 85%. You will need to score well on your boards. I just pre-matched into Radiology, So it can be done....
Do you mind if i private message you some questions regarding your experience and the process it took you to pre-match into radiology?

Do you mind if i private message you some questions regarding your experience and the process it took you to pre-match into radiology?
Yes you can private message me

It will never happened and the people saying it has happened are probably lying.
It has happened, but it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare and not really a possibility I would entertain if I were a Carib student. The one person I know who successfully transferred got a PhD while repeatedly applying to Canadian schools without any luck, taught basic science lectures at one of the big 4 for a few years after finishing his PhD, matriculated at the school where he taught, scored >270 on Step 1, and then managed to transfer to Rosalind Franklin where he had connections but had to do a year of re-taking some courses prior to starting 3rd year. This also took place in the late 90s early 2000s - definitely not something I would hang my hat on.

Last edited:
Transferring will require you doing exceptionally well on step 1 and having connections in the US. Not impossible. Someone at my school did it and matched ophtho. Good luck!

What is a pre-match

Its doable - but probably getting less so. One of the reasons it will continue to get harder is the constantly increasing average USMLE scores.
Having a 260 meant more 5 years ago than it does now.

On the other hand - it wasn't a bad deal for the schools that accepted transfers. I know 3 people in all who transferred - they matched derm, ortho, and neurosurgery. Caribbean transfers are an easy way to pick up hyper competitive applicants.

I know 3 people in all who transferred - they matched derm, ortho, and neurosurgery. Caribbean transfers are an easy way to pick up hyper competitive applicants.
This. I knew of two transitional from two separate years who were transfers.: one had matched into RadOnc, the other Ortho.

If you are not going to be the 1% of your class though, I wouldn't even deign to entertain the thought.

I know of one. transfered into DO school and re-took the first year

Your chances are as close to 0 as possible without actually being 0.

Disregarding the fact that there are 100 more qualified applicants who don't have the red flag of attending a Carribean school for each open seat do you have any idea how difficult it is to accommodate a student who has been through a different curriculum? You have no chance.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Hello Everyone.

No dice.

I'd say you're an outlier-- impressive but this is not the typical story. Idk but taking out thousands of dollars on a gamble to match into family med in Nowhere,Wyoming is just way too risky for someone like me--let alone expecting to match rads anywhere.

Hello Everyone.

When you say your first year, when did you start? Last August or did you start this month?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What program still offer out of match contracts?

What is a pre-match

Programs may offer out of match positions, but must be all the positions or none of the positions. Only aware of select few IM programs, did not know any radiology programs offer this.

Programs may offer out of match positions, but must be all the positions or none of the positions. Only aware of select few IM programs, did not know any radiology programs offer this.
A program that usually participates in the match. But this yr they had 2 opening and decided not to. I did a 4 week rotation there and didn't even know they were pre matching. I loved the program and was offered a position....

A program that usually participates in the match. But this yr they had 2 opening and decided not to. I did a 4 week rotation there and didn't even know they were pre matching. I loved the program and was offered a position....

Cool. Congrats. Hope you enjoy your residency.

If you decide to attempt a transfer, please be sure to use spellcheck prior to submitting.

Hello Everyone.

Honestly, your best bet is to work your ass off, get as high a score on Step as intellectually possible, and make some solid connections during your U.S. rotations (assuming you still want to be a doctor).

If you drop out, you (very likely) won't get in to an American med school, and you'll be deep in debt without a degree. You made a poor choice - bummer. Put your head down and do the best you can; don't forfeit any hope of a medical career.

Transferring will require you doing exceptionally well on step 1 and having connections in the US. Not impossible. Someone at my school did it and matched ophtho. Good luck!
hi may I PM you about this? Thanks!

Honestly it's probably easier to just crush med school and match into a decent residency program than it is to transfer.

I'm not really sure why some people find it helpful to simply state doing this is near impossible and mocking the OP for simply asking a question that many people may be wondering. It is a waste of everyone's time and not the purpose of a forum. I too had many questions about this at one point.

Anyways, I guess I will offer my two cents here as well. As a recent grad from SGU I know a few people who transferred out to US schools, NEOMED being one of them as well as SUNY Upstate. As other people have mentioned, you have to crush step 1 to do this and also you have to be open minded into repeating 1 possibly 2 years of medical school. I know some people that transferred out in the middle of their MS3 year and started MS2, putting them 2 years behind.

You also have to consider the fact that when it comes time to apply for residency you still won't be placed in the standard US med school pile of applications. You will have to explain why it took you 5 or 6 years to complete a 4 year program, which may (ahem...will) put you at a disadvantage.

That being said, matching into a residency from SGU is nowhere near impossible. I matched into general surgery and I know many others who matched into other competitive specialties as well. However, if you are trying for something like orthopedics, urology, plastic surgery, etc., while not impossible it can be done. I guess you could say the chances of you matching into an uber-competitive specialty from SGU are about the same as you transferring out.

Bottom line: kill step 1 and stay at the top of your class and shoot for the stars

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not really sure why some people find it helpful to simply state doing this is near impossible and mocking the OP for simply asking a question that many people may be wondering. It is a waste of everyone's time and not the purpose of a forum. I too had many questions about this at one point.

Anyways, I guess I will offer my two cents here as well. As a recent grad from SGU I know a few people who transferred out to US schools, NEOMED being one of them as well as SUNY Upstate. As other people have mentioned, you have to crush step 1 to do this and also you have to be open minded into repeating 1 possibly 2 years of medical school. I know some people that transferred out in the middle of their MS3 year and started MS2, putting them 2 years behind.

You also have to consider the fact that when it comes time to apply for residency you still won't be placed in the standard US med school pile of applications. You will have to explain why it took you 5 or 6 years to complete a 4 year program, which may (ahem...will) put you at a disadvantage.

That being said, matching into a residency from SGU is nowhere near impossible. I matched into general surgery and I know many others who matched into other competitive specialties as well. However, if you are trying for something like orthopedics, urology, plastic surgery, etc., while not impossible it can be done. I guess you could say the chances of you matching into an uber-competitive specialty from SGU are about the same as you transferring out.

Bottom line: kill step 1 and stay at the top of your class and shoot for the stars
There's a difference between outliers, Lotto winners, and realistic chances.

I won't add to the slew of shut downs being thrown around here, but I do have genuine questions to those currently at SGU:

What is your day to day training like? How do you feel about the quality of your teachers and classmates? What is the morale like down there? Do you realistically feel like you're being trained to be safe and competent doctors? Also, is there a lecture hall with a beach view?

I won't add to the slew of shut downs being thrown around here, but I do have genuine questions to those currently at SGU:

What is your day to day training like? How do you feel about the quality of your teachers and classmates? What is the morale like down there? Do you realistically feel like you're being trained to be safe and competent doctors? Also, is there a lecture hall with a beach view?

Students and faculty member die every term and am not even joking. I was there for 3 semesters and every semester u will lose a classmate and faculty member

I know of two that went to Drexel, did so to be back with their fiancees

Last edited:
Students and faculty member die every term and am not even joking. I was there for 3 semesters and every semester u will lose a classmate and faculty member
Die of what? Cholera?

Status
Not open for further replies.