Trauma gods mascot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diphenyl

Dancing doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have a mascot or good luck charm to let the trauma gods shine favorably on you. We have a string of chicken bones that hang from the radio, like a voo doo thing. If you shake the bones, u get a trauma. We do that sometimes when were bored.

Members don't see this ad.

By wishing for a trauma, aren't you in essence saying, "I hope somebody out there gets hurt?"

Seems kinda like a creepy thing to wish for IMO.

A lucky mascot? A mantra is what you need. Simply utter, "Gosh, it's been a quiet night," spin in a circle three times, click your heels, and your pager will go off before your feet touch the ground.

Members don't see this ad :)
You invoke superstitions to bring MORE people into the ED? I have the opposite problem. We have various things we do to try to slow down the carnage. When things get really bad I tape a towel to a stylet and fly the white flag of surrender fron the chart rack.

Last edited:
I have this ritual that always seems to make it busy in the ED. I like to call it "showing up for work" - anyone else out there have something like that?

I pray to the rain gods while in the peds ED, because a lot of parents realize that if they have to drive in the rain, then their little tikes don't really need to be seen urgently...

It's a monkey's paw sort-of-thing: a few days later, a boatload of wheezing kids come in because of the 'change of weather'...

Sometimes you just can't win...

Yeah the "s" word or the "q" word will always bring a rush of people, not always trauma. Also, bring a book or newspaper to read or any work to do at work and you won't sit down the whole shift.

I have this ritual that always seems to make it busy in the ED. I like to call it "showing up for work" - anyone else out there have something like that?

That's my luck so far. And that was just shadowing doctors in undergrad and over the past few years. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues if I am there for a full month. I tend to get the comment of "it's usually not this busy on a Tuesday" and stuff like that.

I tried that once. It was overrated.

I much prefer the opposite. I call it "sleeping in". It seems to ward off the evil ED spirits quite well.

Sadly, it conflicts with my other rituals. The one that comes to mind first is something I call "paying the mortgage".

Take care,
Jeff

I shadowed for a few weeks at a cool little ED in Vermont. They had fewer than a dozen beds, but everybody was BC/BE and there was a bitchin' helipad outside where people could arrive from the rural areas or the ski slopes, and where they could be transferred to Dartmouth and such places.

There are a couple of light-switches there in the pod, and since it's an ED there will never be a reason to turn them off. Somebody took a label-maker and made it so these are now the shut-down switches for the ski lifts at a nearby mountain.

You invoke superstitions to bring MORE people into the ED? I have the opposite problem. We have various things we do to try to slow down the carnage. When things get really bad I tape a towel to a stylet and fly the white flag of surrender fron the chart rack.

Sometimes after 10 sore throat and ear pain kids, I kind get antsy in my pantsy for something interesting anything to break the monotany at 3 am, whether it be a trauma or even better a critical medical patient. There are certain black clouds who are not allowed to touch the mascot under any circumstances, one person in particular brought me 3 traumas, 2 of which were critical and a bunch of trainwreck medical patients in the course of 2 hrs.

Don't believe in it. I just show up expecting a disaster at all times. If its not, I am always pleasantly surprised.

Although I do sometimes wonder if there is a correlation: if I bring something to read/do, I never seem to have time. If I don't, tends to be slow.

bring on the pastafarians.

Whenever I bring a boo to get some study time in during breaks, it almost always turns into a gram cracker and grape juice for dinner night cus I never sit down.

Do any of you have a mascot or good luck charm to let the trauma gods shine favorably on you. We have a string of chicken bones that hang from the radio, like a voo doo thing. If you shake the bones, u get a trauma. We do that sometimes when were bored.

I'm on Trauma Service right now. We have no need of more buisness. It does seem that certain attendings and residents show up and the traumas don't stop. But there is nothing in particular we do to ask for more buisness (other than let these individuals work). Even if I was bored (which I am no where near) I can't see myself asking for more trauma. One call left on the service. We'll see if I make it.

Someone made the mistake of touching the mascot sunday night and we got burned!

I used to work with one nurse in particular who was that person who attracted trouble. You could guarentee that if you were on shift with her it would be hell. She used to cycle to work and come in through the ambulance doors. One day before her shift had even started she was on an ambulance trolley doing CPR on a patient who'd rocked up when she was cycling through the door. She was also the record holder of having patient's crash in the elevators during transport. It was only under SERIOUS consideration that she was put to work in the resus area. Needless to say with all that experience she was a great nurse.