1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

"Trauma: Life in the ER"

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Hedwig, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Have any of you guys noticed the preponderance of DOs featured on TLC's primetime show, "Trauma: Life in the ER." They're everywhere! Pretty damn cool if you ask me. So much for that small-minded "prestige" crap.

To what do you attribute this?

Unfortunately, there are probably millions of people out there trying to figure out, "Why does that surgeon's coat say D.O. on it?"

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After 4 years as a paramedic working the road, er, and urgent care, along with volunteering and shadowing, the mere thought of that show makes me nauseated. I imagine you see them more because their numbers are increasing.

4. PainMan

PainMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yea I watch the show fairly often. I also saw a DO who was a blackhawk pilot on wings. They called him a "flight surgeon" and said he studied osteopathic medicine prior to becoming a pilot. Pretty cool....

5. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I've noticed it too. Although, I don't think the latest episode @ Yale-New Haven featured any. There have been quite a few episodes. I remember the episode from Columbus, Ohio featured two DOs, one EM resident and the other was an orthopedic surgeon. The latest show from Vegas had an ER doc featured as well. Cool, huh?! DO's...my advice to you... in the words of rapper Petey Pablo..."Raise up!!!" hehe :)

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I remember seeing a D.O. when they had the episode in New Jersey.